--- Alisa Humphrey <humphrey@DIRECWAY.COM> wrote:

> I have just realized that this is the perfect group
> to discuss Smart
> Boards.  I have been considering getting one, but I
> am not sure.  They
> seem expensive, but there is a lot you can do with
> them.

We have one full size SmartBoard and Smart Expressions
Cart in the library.  In addition we have three
half-size boards (we call them baby boards) with av
carts for the classrooms.  Be sure to apply for a
Smarter Kids Foundation grant.  Every legitimate
school who applies receives grants and that cuts the
cost by about 1/3

Our school  could afford to buy one, but when I looked
at how
> much it would cost to train on them, it seems out of
reach.  And I ask > myself, if the training  is so
expensive, what happens when the people who trained
move out of
> our school?  Do we have to do it again?  Are they so
> hard to use that
> the training is necessary?

They are very easy to use and once you start using
them it's hard to teach without them.  I often end
primary library classes with spelling programs and the
kids hate to leave before the spelling is complete.  I
can also design my own Dewey lessons for the kids to
practice putting them in order - they love touching
the board so much, they don't know they're learning a
life skill!

All of our boards are on stands with the computer and
projector on a cart and can travel where ever they are
needed.  The Boards are so light they are even easily
carried up and down stairs.

While my principal and I have chosen to go to a day
long seminar, you can learn as you go.  And yes,
people do change schools and you have to train new
poeple but it's quick and painless.

 I do not want to buy one
> and have it become
> a way to use the internet, we have projectors
> already.  Are they that
> much better than a standard setup?

I do use it with the internet.  But you are not
limited to using it with the internet.

> Has anyone used one in a library setting where
> people who are not
> "trained" use them with success, and for more than
> just a way to use the
> internet?

I havwe to say that I have a very supportive principal
who feels that library and literacy go hand in hand.
I see my students for one 30 minute library period and
then every class is scheduled to come to the library
lab for an additional 30 minutes.  This session is
lead by the teacher with me as support.  If the
teacher wants to learn a new skill or I've found new
SB lessons that I think will be useful, we use the
computer time, with kids and teacher learning
together.  What better example for students when they
see a teacher learning.

Is it worth the trouble?  Definately!!  Take the
plunge it's worth it.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other
questions.

Joy

Joy B. Helmold, Teacher-Librarian
Cranston Public Schools
Cranston, RI, USA
helmold@snet.net

"Your talent is God's gift to you, how you use it is your gift to God"
     --ER