We have been discussing our image since I was in Geneseo's library school
n  - I graduated in 1963 - and the same arguments have been made before and
since then.

I worked with a wonderful librarian when I was 14 as a page at the public
library - Hilda Atterberg of the Rochester Public Library. She was tall and
thin, wore long dresses and had her hair in a bun. She invited me to dinner
at her house with her partner, my school librarian - short, squat - with a
hairdo that was severe to say the least. I loved the two of them and learned
how to be a librarian long before I got to library school. Ms Atterberg
taught us manners - we had afternoon tea in the staff room every day. On the
wall she had always posted (in her wonderful script - those were the days of
handwritten catalog cards) a poem or a positive thought or a piece of
Scripture.We learned to be ladies and gentlemen. I am a librarian today
because of these two librarians.

My point -- well, who cares about image, who cares what we look like? Why
don't we just be who we are? Let us celebrate ourselves as wisdom people -
be with pink hair, tats, piercings, buzzcuts, slacks, skirts, boots or
Birkenstocks.... Let us just be.

Allan

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo (Brother Donogh Allan, MGC)
Bishop Kearney High School Library
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617

585-342 - 4000 x231
585-342 - 4694  (FAX)

acuseo@bkhs.org

Education in the tradition of the Christian Brothers and the School Sisters
of Notre Dame
FAC OMNIA BENE (Do all things well)

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: The information contained in this
electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain
confidential information that is legally privileged and confidential. The
information is intended only for the use of the recipients (s) named above.
If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the
sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying,
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the
information received in error is strictly prohibited.