Hi, All -

The obvious problem with getting subs for the library
is the "training" factor involved.  Many regular
teacher subs are uncomfortable being in the library
and do not know how to do the operational things or
teach/supervise research activities.

When I was by myself (elementary), I taught a couple
of the regular subs the basics - one eventually went
on to get her library credentials.  I also kept a
folder of emergency sub plans - things that could be
done by anyone: almanac/dictionary lessons,
read-alouds, videos, etc. No book check-out, but the
class was covered. I would also leave a list of odd
jobs that needed be done:  putting magazines in date
order, preparing materials for activities (copying,
cutting, etc.), taking down a bulletin board, etc.

If a class was scheduled for something that either the
sub or the classroom teacher could not do, it was
canceled and I would reschedule when I got back.

I am now in a situation where there are 3 full time
people - 2 SLMS, 1 assistant.  Depending on what is on
tap for the day, a sub may or may not be called in.

Jill Brown, LMS
Nardin Academy
Buffalo, NY
buflib@yahoo.com