I had a 3/4 year old class and a autistic preschool class.  With these
students I used simple, repetitive stories, nursery rhymes and books
that tied into what they were doing  in class.  Each story was followed
by an activity that tied to the story and a skill that they were
working on.  Some of the activities were physical, we slither like
snakes and jumped like frogs.  Others were coloring, painting, and
finger painting.  We also did pasting and scissor skills.  Some stories
like Trashy Town they had to hold up stop and go signs at the
appropriate times.  For my students computer time was a reward and was
used during class time.  Many of these students had unlimited computer
time at home. The teachers preferred to have the students read to with
an activity.
  The autistic class especially was working on specific skills, like
using a glue stick properly and using scissors was too dangerous to
others.  I also had the same students multiple years in a row.  Last
year we worked a lot on sequencing nursery rhymes.  I had a books of
rhymes with sequencing pictures.  I had the rhyme written out on chart
paper with the colored sequencing pictures in the appropriate
locations.  We read the poem and talked about what came first and etc.
They then colored and glued the pictures in order.  It sounds very
basic, but this is what they needed.
  It was very fulfilling to watch these children develop. One student
went from unable to sit through a story without running away or tearing
pictures off the walls and biting the teacher to being able to attend a
regular classroom and behave appropriately.  When ever Juwan saw me it
was "Time for library"!
Debbie Balsam, retired
Vienna, VA
dbalsam@cox.net