Thanks to all who responded.

I've been in a title one K-6 school for about 8 years and have only had one
book challenged so far. It was after Columbine but before September 11th..
A hyperactive 5th grader checked out "The Visual Dictionary of Special
Military Weapons". He was fascinated with the pictures and on his way home
with the book in his backpack he proceeded to chant to his friends," I got
a gun in my backpack". One of the fellow walkers told their mom who called
the school and they called the police who proceeded to search the student's
home. Of course it wouldn't be the student's fault so the parents
challenged the book. We have a procedure where a committee is formed of
parents, district office personnel and the principal and myself. Well, I am
a Navy brat and several others on the committee had military ties and
considering the circumstances the book was left in the library. All
procedure was followed and I was pleased with the outcome.

2. Will you please describe what happens when a parent challenges a
> book in> your library?
The parent is usually sent to me, in person or via a letter, with
concerns about a particular book or material. I respond citing the
process of book selection and acknowledge the parent's right to request
his own student not check out the material. If the parent feels the
book should be blocked from everyone's usage, I explain the district
challenge process and offer to give the parent the form, in its
entirety, that must first be completed.So far no material in our
school, or 7 school district, has been officially challenged.
> Is there a difference between what really happens and the
> written policy?Yes, once my district curriculum supervisor took it upon
himself to
have me take a book off the shelf due to a parent's complaint.He
thought it wasn't worth having the issue go to the school board.
Obviously, the district policy wasn't followed. This was a matter of
top-down management. The next school year a student told me that of the
books he had read recently, this particular book was his favorite.
Neither he or his Board of Education parent was aware of the
questionable appropriateness of the book, but it sure made me feel
better!
In another instance, the school principal had a parent think a
district-purchased video was inappropriate to use - it involved Big
Bird and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Neither the parent nor the
principal ever went through the formal challenge process, but the art
teacher never showed the video again.
> 3. What do you feel is the most frustrating aspect of a book
> challenge?> Why?
Parents protest over something they come across without reading the
whole book and thinking about the message.
> 4. What is the most surprising or positive aspect of a book challenge?
> Why?
Gives you reason to reflect on your philosophy and district policies.
> 5. Is there any strategy or action that you implement that you feel
> prevents a book challenge in your library? If so, what is it and why
> do
> you feel that it works?
Keeping as rational as possible in talking to the people who have
questions. Listen, listen.Leave emotions out of the picture.
> 6. In your experience, what book has been challenged that has
> surprised> you?
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
> 7. In making book selections for your library, does a parent have a
> role
> in the process? Please explain your answer.
No - at least not a parent from the school community. I am a parent and
many people writing reviews have parental experience.

1.  Have you ever experienced a book challenge?  If your answer is yes, how
many book challenges have you experienced and will you describe any
memorable ones?
Yes I have been a School Librarian for 25 years and have had challenges
throughout the years:
1981-1982 :  -  Middle School did not have a certified Librarian.  I was
the new Librarian in the H.S. and was asked about it from the
Paraprofessional who ran the Middle School Library.  I ended up moving
HEADMAN by KIN PLATT to the H.S. Library since they removed it from the
Middle School Library.  I was not included in the process at the Middle
School.  It was challenged and removed.  I do not believe they went through
an appropriate process.
1982-1983  :  -  I was the High School Librarian.  My principal tried to
censor the Library and the Senior English Elective course which consisted
of an OPTIONAL READING LIST of about 50 books.  My principal asked me to
tell him if any of the books on the Teacher's list had ever been censored
or banned.  I looked at the list which was perfectly appropriate for an
Independent Senior Reading Class of 18 year old students.  (It had all the
greats from Mark Twain, Moby Dick, Catcher in the Rye, a Clockwork Orange
and more. )    I told the Principal that yes some had been but that the
list was perfectly appropriate and that only the student or their parent
had the right to decide since no book was required, it was just that they
had to read a certain number of books and pages and discuss the books with
the teacher, that it should be no problem.  I even reassured him that I
would provide reviews and materials to support it's appropriateness.   He
decided not to remove any.
That same year there was also a question about two or three of our Sandra
Scoppetone books.  They remained on the shelves.
1983-1984 -   the Marshall Cavendish Doctor's Answers Family Medical Health
Encyclopedia came out with copyright 1984.  It was new and it was a 24
volume health encyclopedia that had everything a student did reports and
coverage that hadn't been provided anywhere else on things like BULIMIA and
ANOREXIA, SPRAINS, and many other topics.  Unfortunately, the pictures were
quite graphic.  In the "S" Volume (19) there was a two page spread across
the top half of the two pages of two people lying naked under the "Sex..."
topic.  While I would not have chosen that picture, the set in it's
entirety had three panels on each page.  One gave the straightforward
facts, one gave a question and Doctor's answer column and then thirdly,
there was a column that addressed the ethical and moral aspects of the
topic.   I had it on the shelf for one to two months and while the students
"discovered" it and looked at it, they were aware that they needed to
behave appropriately while using it or they would not be in the Library.
It was added to the Reference Collection after I previewed it and talked to
three or four veteran teachers and the Guidance Counselor about the graphic
concerns.  They all agreed that the coverage was good and that it belonged
in our H.S. Library.  One night, the board of education was meeting in the
Library.  One of the veteran teachers, a math teacher who was presenting a
computer proposal and who was also a PEER COUNSELING SUPERVISOR, who I had
talked to about the reference set, asked the Asst. Principal if he had seen
"Joy's new Health Encyclopedia".  He then went over and grabbed a volume
and showed it to the Asst. Principal while they waited their turn to
present the computer proposal.  After the meeting, the Asst. Principal and
the Teacher showed the volume to the Principal. (I was not at the board
meeting.)
The next morning, I came in and opened the Library and noticed a big empty
spot where the 24 volumes had been.  I went to the office and asked if
anyone knew anything about it.  I was told that yes, they would talk to me
later, during the first period.  I told them that the BIOLOGY TEACHER had
requested to have the entire set down in her classroom that week for their
CELL RESEARCH.  So, they told me I could take the rest of the set, just not
Volume 19.  I asked where the set was.  They told me it was in the back of
the Principal'soffice under a table.  I was allowed to go get the other 23
volumes and allow the Biology teacher to use the set for her research.  I
was told it would have supervision that way.  (The Biology teacher later
told me it was better supervised being in the Library than being in her
classroom.)
About 8:30 in the morning, the Asst. Principal came in to the Library and
told me he was going to watch the Library while I needed to go into the
Principal's Office.  I went in and the principal was sitting on one side of
a large table.  He had me sit on the opposite side of the table from him.
He had "VOLUME 19, the S Volume" upside down on the table in front of him.
He asked me how this set got in the Library.  I explained to him that I had
previewed it and found it had very good information.  I told him how I had
approached the English teacher of 27 years  of experience in _____, who had
assigned research papers on health topics and she thought it was great.
Then I approached the Home Ec/ Early Childhood Education teacher of 25
years experience in _____, whosaid she thought it was appropriate and would
be useful and should be in our Library.  I explained how I had spoken to
the Guidance Counselor, a 30 year veteran of the school district who had
previously served as a science teacher and a middle school principal before
becoming the H.S. Guidance Counselor and that he felt it was appropriate
and belonged in the H.S. Library.   He often had parent meetings in the
Library at night and he said he felt perfectly comfortable with the set
being on the shelves in the Library.  I had also spoken to the Physical
Education teacher who was working on writing a proposed Health Curriculum
(it wasn't yet formally taught at that time but he covered some in his P.E.
Classes).  He also was the parent of two students in the H.S. and he voiced
support for the Health Encyclopedia in spite of being told of the
questionable pictures.  He pointed out that many of our students had seen
MOSCOW ON HUDSON, the movie and that most students had seen more graphic
things.
So then my principal asked my what right I had to buy the books.  I pointed
out that when he had hired me two years earlier, I had asked if they had a
Library Selection Policy.  He had told me they did.  When I started the
job, I could not find one, so I contacted the State Department of Education
and the State Library and they sent me the document the state had that
stated that in South Dakota, when the School District hires a School
Librarian, they authorize her to select materials for the School Library.
I had followed the guidelines of the state and had used discretion and
discussed it with all those veteran teachers.
He then told me that regardless of all that, that he was removing it from
the Library.  I pointed out that the teachers planned to use it.  He then
said that eventually, when the Biology teacher was done with it for her
lesson, that I could have the rest of the set but not Volume 19.  I told
him that was Censorship.  He said "Not if we do it."   I told him that yes
it was and that according to a normal Library Selection Policy, that a
committee should be convened and that it should go through a process and
propose an alternative reference to provide the same coverage.
He then asked me if I wanted to lose my job over this book.  I told him,
NO, but it is the Principle of the thing.  It should not be pulled unless
it has had a committee review it and decide.  I admitted that I wouldn't
have put those pictures in the encyclopedia, but that in over a month, no
students had abused or gotten out of hand while using the health
encyclopedia.
At this point, he sent the secretary to get the Asst. Principal.  They
called the Guidance Counselor to cover the Library, it was about 9:15 by
then, and the Asst. Principal was called in and it was the two of them
(Principal and Asst. Principal) against me.  Now they both stated that it
wasn't a good idea to have this set in the Library.  The Asst. Principal
who was also the Athletic director and the disciplinarian of the H.S. told
me that since he was in H.S. and still the only reason some kids come to
the Library is to find things on SEX in books.  And therefore, we shouldn't
have this book in the Library.  I told them that was not the ONLY reason
all kids come to the Library.  After another half hour of
arguing/discussion, I was told to go back to the Library and that it was in
the Superintendent's hands.
I went back to the Library and the Guidance Counselor told me what had
happened the night before at and after the Board Meeting.  He supported me
and said they were over-reacting.  He suggested I cool off when I told him
how the Principal had threatened my job and asked me if I wanted to lose my
job over this book.   He told me not to worry about it and think about how
to proceed.
After lunch, I went across the hallway to the Superintendent's Office and
asked to speak to the Superintendent.  I was told he was out and that I
could have an appointment for the next day.
The next day I met with the superintendent and explained my selection
process and the support I had received when I went to the Veteran teachers.
I found out that he knew that as the H.S. Principal had sent the Asst.
Principal to check with all the Veteran Teachers and ask them if I had
really asked them their opinion about the Health Encyclopedia and then he
reported it back to the H.S. Principal who reported it to the
Superintendent.  He had Volume 19 on his desk during our discussion.  I
explained to him about the Biology teacher using the set.   He told me that
I could have the set and volume 19 back in the Library if I agreed to cut
out the pictures.  I argued that there was text on the back of the pages
where the pictures were and that while I would not have chosen those
pictures for a H.S. Health Encyclopedia, I would not cut them out.  I gave
him an alternative.  I asked if I could instead cover up those pictures
with two sided sticky tape and manilla paper cut to size.  He agreed with
the stipulation that Volume 19 be on my desk.  I told him that I would not
just put Volume 19 on my desk but the whole set.  I explained to him how in
a H.S. if you pull out and put 1 Volume of a 24 volume set, it is RED
Flagging that volume and they will all want to look at it.  I explained if
I put the whole set on my desk and if anyone asked, I would say that it is
a new set and has so many good things in it, I am keeping it handy for
quick reference answers.  He agreed and let me take the Vol. 19 and later
the entire set back to the Library after the Biology teacher was done with
her research assignment.
 The following summer, for family reasons, I resigned and moved the first
 week of September.  While training my replacement for two or three days
 during the end of August 1984, I explained to her about the reference set.
 She said she didn't have a problem with the set, and we both agreed I
 would carefully remove the double-sided tape and manilla paper and that if
 she was asked, she would just say, it was that way when she took over the
 Library.  I later talked to her a couple of times and she said they never
 checked on it again.
(NOTE: IN subsequent versions of this Health Encyclopedia, I noticed that
Marshall Cavendish greatly cropped back those questionable pictures.   I am
sure many School Libraries had returned them or gave them feedback on the
censorship problems of the 1984 edition).
In 1987, at School , one of my teacher's came to me as one parent was
questioning their use of "MY BROTHER SAM IS DEAD" in their 4th or 5th grade
classroom for a reading assignment. There was on word somewhere in the book
(I think it was "shit" or "damn") and the parent objected and requested his
child be allowed to read something else.  The school reviewed it and
supported keeping the book but then the teacher was ordered to find
something comparable for that one student to read instead.
In 1987, at School, which was a grade 4 though 8 middle school, that also
shared it's library with the town of _____ was also challenged on the V.C.
ANDREWS BOOKS and specifically one title with "PETALS" in the title, due to
child or sexual abuse in the novel.  I shared the running of the Library
with a Public Library Staff of part-timers, none of whom had an MLS but two
had started going to a nearby Community College to get their LTA (LIbrary
Technical Assistant Degree, a two year degree).  The Public Library didn't
have a form, so I whipped one up and we gave it to the Adult Patron who
questioned this book even though it was in the ADULT FICTION SECTION.
(Middle School Students could only check out from the Childrens or Young
Adult Collection unless they had a form signed by their parent giving them
permission to check out from the Adult side of the Library.  The patron
never returned the form but removed the book themselves and never returned
it.  The Public Library eventually replaced the missing book and kept the
V.C. Andrews books on the Library Shelves.
In 1994, a book challenge against GOOSEBUMPS BOOKS in one of our Elementary
School Libraries.  Library Paraprofessional and Principal phoned me and
asked what to do.  I contacted the Reading and Language Arts Coordinator
and Assistant Superintendent and they convened a committee.  We had a
policy and a form in place for "RECONSIDERATION OF LIBRARY MATERIALS" which
we had the parent fill out.  The committee of the Asst. Supt., the Reading
Coordinator, myself, one classroom elementary teacher and one board of
education member sat down after everyone was requested to read the book in
it's entirety.  We then read the parent's complaint and discussed the
purpose of the Library and Leisure reading books in the Elementary Library.
The committee unanimously agreed to keep goosebumps in that school library
and that he Principal and I should meet with the Parent to explain that she
had the right to limit what her child read but not what every other child
read.
In 1997, a new Library Paraprofessional at one of my other elementary
Libraries in the  Public Schools, told me that her principal had removed
all the goosebumps books from her school library earlier in the school
year.   She had not know to tell anyone or to object as she had been new to
the job, having no previous library experience and only having been a PTO
parent.  She said she often had request for them but was told by the
principal that they were not appropriate for the elementary school.  This
school never followed any procedure and self-censored.  There was no
Certified Librarian to defend or insist on proper procedure be followed.
And I found out about it too late.
In 2003, at another Elementary School Librarythe Library Paraprofessional
called me and told me that the principal had removed her Library Copies of
"HEART OF A CHIEF" and hadn't returned them for several weeks now.  I asked
the Reading Coordinator what the status was of the book.  That year, the
Connecticut program called NUTMEG BOOKS had chosen Heart of a Chief as one
of the selected books for all school children to read and vote which book
was their favorite.  A 5th grade teacher had a set of 8 copies of "Heart of
a Chief" and had been reading it with a book group in her class.  They had
gotten to the chapter in the book where the characters, who are children in
school from a reservation, are talking about their possible science topics
they might want to do.  As they are brainstorming, one of the characters
suggests they do "ABORTION", but then the characters nix that saying the
teacher's guideline was that no topics could be about "BODILY FUNCTIONS".
While the Class was discussing their chapter, one student raised his hand
and asked "What does 'abortion' mean?"  In our district, our elementary
schools do not discuss abortion.  So, to skirt the question, the teacher
said, that is something you should talk to your parents about.  So, the
student went home that day.  His parent asked "What did you talk about in
school today?"  The student said "We talked about abortion."    The parent
over-reacted and phoned the PRINCIPAL and demanded that the book be removed
and that the teacher be reprimanded for talking about abortion.   Then the
Principal, a young principal with less than three years experience as an
Elementary Principal and new to our School district in 2000 or 2001, went
to the Library and classrooms and removed all the books.  I told the
Reading Coordinator that I objected because the RECONSIDERATION POLICY
wasn't being followed.  She told me it did not apply since it was a
classroom reading issue.  I said no, it was also a Library Censorship
problem since the principal had removed the book while the Library Policy
states it should remain in the Library until a committee agrees it should
be removed.  She said it was up to the Principal.  I disagreed but was told
there was nothing I could do about it.
In 2004, at the same elementary school, there was a book fair being
planned.  The front of the book fair flier had a popular new book, I can't
remember the exact title, but it was something about they way we were in
1942.  And it had a picture of a Bomber Airplane on the cover with a 1940's
Blond Woman in a waifting or flowing white dress in a partially seated
position on the side or wing of the airplane (Marilyn Monroe style).  It
was an ILLUSTRATION that the same Principal objected to.  She would not let
the Library Paraprofessional in charge of the Library get the book for the
Library and phoned the book fair people and demanded that book be removed
from their book club.  She would not let the Library Paraprofessional use
the fliers from the book fair company to promote the fair ahead of time due
to the illustration of or from that book on the fornt.  That Library
Paraprofessional, who had a son in that school, actually bought the book
from another elementary school book fair for her son, but she was never
allowed to have it in their school library.  The Principal was being overly
cautious and pre-censoring.  Her argument on that book was that we don't
want to promote that kind of IMAGE to our young girls.  We tried to explain
to her that children will understand if we explain to them that the way
people were back then and that the pictures of women on planes was a common
practice during WWII.  We reminded her that the book was portraying
authentic images in man-made illustrations, not actual photographs.   She
never accepted our defenses for the book.  It was purchased and it is
available in our four other elementary libraries in our school district but
it is still not allowed in this School.  Again, no procedure was ever
followed and since there was no  professional or certified Librarian, there
really was no one who felt they had the authority or ability to defend the
book against the principal.
1.  Have you ever experienced a book challenge?  If your answer is yes, how
many book challenges have you experienced and will you describe any
memorable ones? Knock wood, no.
2. Will you please describe what happens when a parent challenges a book in
your library?  Is there a difference between what really happens and the
written policy?
3.  What do you feel is the most frustrating aspect of a book challenge?
Why?
4.  What is the most surprising or positive aspect of a book challenge?
Why?
5.  Is there any strategy or action that you implement that you feel
prevents a book challenge in your library?  If so, what is it and why do
you feel that it works? I am aware that I work in a conservative community.
I try to balance my selections: a wide range of views tempered with respect
for parents' views.  If I buy a novel like Kira, Kira my children will not
be allowed to check it out, so the money is wasted.
6.  In your experience, what book has been challenged that has surprised
you?
7.  In making book selections for your library, does a parent have a role
in the process? Please explain your answer. I make sure to include at least
one of our most conservative parents on the media committee.  Creating an
ongoing dialogue and showing respect for other viewpoints, even if you
disagree, has helped to head off challenges.
8.  Have you heard of the Parental Empowerment Act of 2005?  If your answer
is yes, please explain what you know about it. No
1.  Have you ever experienced a book challenge?  If your answer is yes, how
many book challenges have you experienced?
Directly, one (in a high school.) Indirectly, seven. The one I was directly
involved in was actually beyond a challenge. A parent came and asked which
of her children had taken out a book "Drawing the Human Form". The child,
whomever it was, had taken the book without checking it out, so I couldn't
give her that information. She then proceeded to tell me that she found the
book and it was so offensive that she made her son take it out to their
burn barrel and burn the book. She also informed me that if her children
took out any books on witches, the occult, or the body/sex ed, they would
suffer the same fate. She did have to pay for a replacement copy of the
book at $56.
2.  In your library, do you have a written policy for dealing with book
challenges? Is it a part of a larger document?  Are you required to make
this available to anyone?
Our district has a policy that covers textbooks. At this point, in this
district, that policy is supposed to apply to library materials as well. It
is part of the board policy manual. The policy would be provided to any
parent that came directly to me with a concern. It is not distributed
wholesale to students or parents.
3. Will you please describe what happens when a parent challenges a book in
your library?  Is there a difference between what really happens and the
written policy?
What I've seen happen in this district is that someone questions a book and
someone at the district level decides without any deliberation to remove
the book from all district collections.
That is very different from the written policy. That policy requires the
parent/complainant to complete a form, the book to be examined by a
committee who makes a recommendation to the superintendent. If the parent
is still dissatisfied, they may ask the school board to reconsider the
book.

4.  What do you feel is the most frustrating aspect of a book challenge?
Why? (This question can be answered with either experiences you've actually
encountered or it can be answered from a theoretical stance.)

It is frustrating to me that individuals think that they have the right to
decide what is available and appropriate for others. The extremes I've
dealth with in two districts have appalled and dismayed me. I can almost
understand the parent who burned the book, but the curriculum director who
says we don't have to follow any policy and issues edicts that we won't
have this or that title in any district library horrifies me.

5.  What is the most surprising or positive aspect of a book challenge?
Why?  (This question can be answered with either experiences you've
actually encountered or it can be answered from a theoretical stance.)

The ability of a group of parents, teachers, and administrators to come
together as a group after reading books which have been challenged and to
discuss them intelligently and unemotionally and come to a reasonable
decision about the retention of books.

6.  Book challenges are inevitable in most libraries.  Is there any
strategy or action that you implement that you feel prevents a book
challenge in your library?  If so, what is it and why do you feel that it
works?

Funny, I don't agree at all that challenges are inevitable. In most cases,
discussing the district's selection policy with someone who has a concern
and explaining to parents that they should monitor and instruct their own
child in what is or isn't acceptable in their family does wonders for
preventing a concern from escalating to a challenge. A well-written policy
and a formidable form for complainants to complete before there is an
official challenge are also beneficial.

7.  In your experience, what book has been challenged that has surprised
you?

Frankly, all of them have surprised me. I can't imagine feeling that
strongly about something that I would want to interfere in other people's
access to it. The art book that was burned horrified me. I couldn't react
when she told me because I couldn't believe she was serious. I think I
walked around in a daze for about a week afterward. It was probably more
the fact that the person burned the book that surprised me than that she
questioned its purpose.

It's So Amazing is not permitted to be in any libraries in our district
regardless of level. Neither are Names Will Never Hurt Me by Adoff, Forever
by Judy Blume, or the Teenage Guy's Survival Guide.
Black Boy by Richard Wright and Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye were
challenged but retained (on teachers' reading lists and in library
collections) in another district I worked in.
8.  In making book selections for your library, does a parent have a role
in the process? Please explain your answer.
I think that parents may make suggestions. If a parent chooses to
participate in a Library Advisory Committee (which we don't currently have)
they may also weild more influence. I do not think though, that parents
should replace professionals in the selection of library materials.
9.  Have you heard of the Parental Empowerment Act of 2005?  If your answer
is yes, please explain what you know about it.
No.
Carol Silver, MLIS student
paraprofessional in Charlotte, NC
casilver@uncg.edu