Our magazines do circulate (some more than others),
therefore we do "catalog" them. Level minus one
cataloging. Yes, people can find them on Follett that
way.
I'm sure you don't want to barcode all of them, so
maybe you can do a level three on each of the titles,
mention in the notes that you keep a backlog, and then
just not add any copies. Your aide won't even have to
know it's been done. ;-)
Just a thought off the top of my head.

We catalog all our teacher magazines as they come in.  It's not a
terribly detailed record, but my aide puts in title, month, and subject
headings that would help a teacher find magazine articles on "apples" or
"Jan Brett" or whatever.

We use Follett+ too.  You can just open the first catalog record you
make for, say, Mailbox BookBag.  Then save the record as a copy, and
make your changes.  My aide does it as part of the check-in process for
magazines.

Not only does this help the teachers find articles and reproducibles to
support their teaching, it helps me justify the chunk of cash I pay for
magazines every year.  I also want magazine check-outs to be counted in
my circulation statistics every year.

I don't catalog student magazines, since they just don't last long
enough to make it worthwhile.

I have done it both ways. I created a record for the magazine and then as
specific copies arrived, I bar-coded them and added them to the record. It
worked well, but I hated it when I gave away a year's worth of magazines and
we had to remove all of the barcodes and then delete all of the magazines.

Right now we barcode clear plastic protectors and then when someone wants a
magazine, we place the magazine inside the protector and scan the barcode.
We add it as a temporary record. When the magazine is returned and checked
in, we can re-use the barcode and the cover.

I don't know that I have a preference over one or the other. I liked having
the magazines in my OPAC, but I also like not having to add them to the
record each month (time management). Both ways have good and bad reasons.
Many schools do add them to their records database. You would not be alone.

I'd advise you to listen to your parapro :)
The website list is a good idea though.

think it helpful for the ones that are ont on EBESCO.And some we index.

At first, I thought why in the world should you do that. And then I realized
exactly why you should.  I worked at a college last year (in reference) and
noted that almost all colleges catalog their magazines and include in the
cataloguing the dates of holdings.  This is important when securing the
articles
after  having researched in a database that doesn't have full text.  It is
also
a good way to get students to explore a variety of sources and is a step
toward
what we used to call "seamless" searching.

Because we circ our current magazines at my hs (they are among the most
circulated items; we have over 100 subscriptions for our 1400 students), we
have
a barcode on a plastic cover into which we insert the latest issue while
it's on
display. In our system, we designate this as a unique material type so it
can be
searched that way as well.  It's important to have clear indicators to
patrons
of the type of material. We don't include full cataloguing, ie subject
headings
but it wouldn't take long to do that.  I think you've given me a great idea.

Incidentally, if you don't circ your mags, how do you track usage?

I didn't before, but this year, I did. I cataloged the magazine, without the
date, volume #, etc. and put a barcode on the folder. I included a short
description about the content that I got either from the magazine itself or
its website. The most current issue is in the folder and we check them out
overnight. I created a log sheet and we log them in as they arrive in the
mail so we know which issue is the current one. The older issues are kept on
a shelf underneath the new ones. We check them out, too, but I write down
the patron name, number, magazine name and issue date. I'm not so worried
about losing the older ones as the newest ones and so far we haven't lost
many.

I also have begun my first year at a middle school, and my magazines do
circulate and are therefore cataloged.
It is easy to see what is popular with the students for ordering next year
and you can easily keep track of what is out.
We allow students 10 days per magazine and only two magazines at a time.
We don't catalog newspapers though,
I just put them on the periodical display. So no, you are not crazy, mags
circulate
as much as some books, and cataloging them allows for good record keeping.
Good luck

Thank you,
Sonia Nelson, Librarian
St. Joseph's Prep