Here are the suggestions I received for novels having to do with science for an 8th
grade teacher:

My Chimp Friday by Hester Mundis -- deals with genetics.

Paul Zindel's The Gadget is wonderful. It's about the testing of the atom bomb in
the desert. The son of one of the scientists goes to stay with his dad and gets
involved with spies who are trying to discover what the government is doing and
there is a chilling description of the illness radiation poisoning, I think that
afflicts one of the scientist. Gripping stuff.

Animal Planet (the wild side)
Avi. Blue Heron
Bancroft, Griffing. Vanishing Wings
Brenner, Barbara. A Killing Season
Mikaelsen, Ben. Rescue Josh McGuire
Mikaelsen, Ben. Stranded
Smith, Roland. The Last Lobo
Taylor, Theodore. Sniper
Taylor, Theodore. The Wierdo

Careers and Occupations
Brenner, Barbara. A Killing Season
Hobbs, Will. Wild Man Island

Nature and the Environment
Bickham, Jack. Baker's Hawk
Casanova, Mary. Where Eagles Fall.
Collier, James Lincoln. When the Stars Begin to Fall
Hiaasen, Carl. Hoot
Markle, Sandra. The Fledglings
Murphy, Robert. The Golden Eagle.

The ones that I think would be best for 8th grade are: Rescue Josh
McGuire, Where Eagles Fall, Hoot and The Fledglings.

It's All in Your Head: A Guide to Understanding Your Brain and Boosting Your
Brain Power (Paperback)
by Susan L. Barrett, Pamela Espeland (Editor), J. Urbanovic (Translator)

At Risk -   Hoffman
Body Bags - Golden
Coma - Cook
the Cure - Levitan
Fade - Cormier
Fever 1793 - Anderson
Bug Park - Hogan
Flush - Hiaasen

I had students read The Hot Zone several years back.
Might be renewed interested due to the flu scare.

October Sky (Rocket Boys) is used by our teachers here.

Thank you,
Lyn Anderson
Library Goddess
Brentwood Middle School