"In the 1980s, seven gTLDs (.com, .edu, .gov, .int, .mil, .net, and
.org) were created. Domain names may be registered in three of these
(.com, .net, and .org) without restriction; the other four have limited
purposes." <http://www.icann.org/tlds/>
<http://www.icann.org/faq/#WhatisICANN>
In other words, anyone can use any of those three for any type of site's
purpose.

There is a list of TLDs and who sponsors (in charge of and purpose) at
<http://www.icann.org/registries/listing.html> .

One thing to watch with .edu is to ascertain whether pages are part of
an official dept site or are personal (professor or student) pages.
While often a ~ in the url means personal page, it isn't an absolute
rule. Researcher needs to look at links back to rest of site, footer for
declaration, etc.

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
Librarian in the Middle Blog: www.beiffert.net  robert@beiffert.net

It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question.  -Eugene Ionesco