BlankThanks so much to everyone that took the time to respond to my question.  I
think there is a lot of wisdom here that was gained through experience.  Due to the
length of the responses, I will submit two HITS.

My original question was:  "As a teacher moving to a library position (some day),
which materials should I keep, and which materials should I discard?"

Response #1

take a thorough look at the SOL's for the grade level you want to work.  do you
have anything you can use in the grade configuration you seek?  the trend now is to
correlate the media center lessons with the content areas. especially science and
social studies.  keep what is useful as you begin in a media center then gradually
discard. bulletin board resources will be helpful.

Response #2

Keep any bulletin board material that is related to reading and books.  Keep any
lesson plans related to reading/books/authors/research.

As a librarian, I would NOT make my personal books available to them; after all,
you will have a library full of age-appropriate books from which they can select.
If someone is looking for a specific title that your library doesn't have and can't
acquire on short notice, you might consider loaning your personal copy.

If you have children's books in your personal collection that you don't want to
keep for yourself (children/grandchildren?) you might consider donating them to
your library...you can take a tax deduction for it if you write up some kind of
receipt and have your principal sign it.

You sound like a very creative person...most elementary teachers are, whether they
realize it or not!  You will find that you will continue to create "new" things to
go along with your new position.  It's often easier than trying to dig out
something you already have and trying to adapt it to the new situation.

Response #3

Most of my classroom 'stuff' is stored in a friends' barn. I would be
interested in what other people in the same situation are keeping and
what they are weeding.

Response #4

Some of your things are going to transfer or can be adapted.  Look them
over carefully in how they may be used in a library setting.  A 21st
century librarian teaches library and information skills within the
context of the content areas.
Save just about everything to do with literature, you never know what
you might need.  My philosophy is if in doubt keep it.  I kept all my
teaching stuff over the 32 years I was a school librarian.  Some stuff
I never really used again, but I sometimes used it for inspiration or
recreated it in a new format.
I have used my own books for some lessons.  Yes, the students do want
to check out the things you read, but sometimes it is worth the
request.  I have a lovely book that is about Mike Mulligan and his
Steamshovel called Mike's House.  The book has been OP for years.  It
also takes place in a library that I used for years and the child lives
in a house we almost bought.  For me it is a perfect tie in and the
students love the story that goes with the books.

Response #5

I was a classroom teacher for 15 years before becoming an LMS, and like you, had a
houseful of materials and books. Now that I've been a librarian for 18 more years,
I can tell which materials I'm glad I kept.

I do try to own a personal copy of the books I do at storytimes if I plan to repeat
the lesson the next year. If not, invariably the book is checked out, or I transfer
to a school that does not have the book which has now gone OP. If kids ask to check
out the book, and it is not a duplicate of one in the collection, I tell them it's
my own, but I'll help them find one like it. If they weren't books I could use with
a story, I gave them away. Or you could have a sale--teachers love getting other
teacher's stuff.

Go through everything and ask yourself if this is an item you picture yourself
using in the library. What you won't need are the math, science and most of the
social studies stuff unless you have lessons you want to collaborate with teachers.
I did not use the duplicating books, the math manipulatives, or the professional
books on any topic that wasn't ELA. Donate the current ones to your own library so
they are handy if you need them. I used few of the bulletin board materials because
they were more curriculum specific to a particular grade level and didn't fit the
more universal boards I put up in the library. Ditto with the bulletin board idea
books.

I still have an entire walk-in closet full of boxed materials. If you thought you
had a lot as a teacher, wait till you become a librarian and are relieved of having
to buy so many personal books. The $$ is then spent on puppets, flannel board
materials, rainsticks, and dozens and dozens of book props.

Something I did later in my career which I wish I'd done sooner is to put stuff
into plastic tubs labeled by letter. Then I made a word document in the chart
format listing each item and its letter. You can sort alphabetically with a single
click, and can search for that magic wand or African finger drum by using the find
feature. Before I did that, I had to rummage for extended time to find whatever
prop or game I needed. Now I find it in seconds and can put it back just as quickly.

Response #6

I am moving out of the library that I have been in for 10 years, and I am coming
across so many things that you just described.  Sadly, I haven't used hardly any of
those things that you mentioned.  I have a smaller collection of professional books
(lesson ideas, finger plays, poetry/plays, etc.) because I sold over half of my
books at a garage sale 2 yrs ago.  The manipulatives, posters, games, etc have
almost never been used.  Even the first "library" books I bought years ago haven't
been used much.

The truth is one of the things I enjoy most about the library is the variety that
comes my way.  I almost never teach the same lessons each year.  There is always
some modification or such.  I also use the Internet for ideas and activities.

Personally, I'm 47 and in a phase of cleaning out junk, so I'm really noticing all
the stuff I have accumulated.  I will leave this library and go to a different
facility.  I need to separate my things from the things that belong here and I'm
really noticing how much junk I have.  I am going to leave a lot of things here in
this facility.  I hope this helps, and maybe many of your personal things will help
a new teacher just starting out.

Response #7

While I don't share books in my personal collection that are not in the library
collection (ok, very rarely), I do sometimes read my own copy. Because of course,
the library copy isn't always on the shelf on the day you want it, or if something
comes up unexpectedly that makes you want that exact book.

For books at the library that are my own, I have a special basket that's discreetly
off limits (out of sight).

Every now and then I read something that's mine, and not in the collection. These
are usually ones that are hard to find titles or early titles by a favorite author,
that it's convenient to have up my sleeve. Regarding books that can't be checked
out, the kids are fairly used to me saying "I need to share this with other
classes. Would you like to put a hold on it for when I'm done?" And since most of
these are picture books, I can often say "find the books you're going to check out,
then come ask me for this one... and return it to me when you're done."

Since the box full of books I'm reading to various classes must be close at hand,
the kids also know from the start that it's one of the few places they should avoid
browsing. There are a few life-ring sort of books in there, which are not to be
checked out, because someone might need them. For instance, I read Voyage to the
Bunny Planet to every kinder class. This three volume set it out of print in the
large size that's best for sharing with a class. It's also comforting on those days
when everything goes wrong. The kids know that Bunny Planet is always here. The
large format is impossible to replace, so I wouldn't check it out anyway... and on
a bad day it needs to be here.