Thank you for all of the replies.  There are many secondary schools out
there that are checking out audiobooks (in whatever format) to students.
I'm sure we will do this as well.  Our big problem is finding space for the
display box and finding space for the actual item.  (For our videos, we put
the boxes they came in out on shelves and keep the actual videos behind the
circulation desk in plastic video containers.)  Now, does anyone check out
music to students?  I am thinking that trying to purchase popular music can
be a slippery slope (because of the language and descriptions of sex) but
wondered if anyone has taken the plunge?

People said...

We have an extensive Audiobook collection and are exploring downloadable
audiobooks.  It has the same circ as a book.
---
We do our books on tape for 1 week.  They are allowed as many renewals as
needed depending on the length of the book.
---
We check out videos and DVDs to students for a two-day check out time
period. If they check out on Friday, they get it until Tuesday.  Most of the
students are really good about checking out and returning....the teachers
are the worst!!
---
I checked out my audio books to students and teachers.  They were in both
tape and CD format.  The borrowing time was the same as a book.  We rarely
had a problem. If a student neglected to return one of the CD's or tapes it
was generally still in the player.
---
I just started audiobooks on CD this fall and have a small collection of 23
titles as a starting point.  I allow them to be checked out for 2 weeks the
same as books and have overdue fines of 10 cents/school day the same as
books.  It has worked well.  I got some CD containers from Highsmith as some
of them came in jewel cases and they were not going to be sturdy enough.
Some of the plastic cases are crimping but I don't charge for damages unless
I think it was really abuse.  So far it is going well.  Teachers have used
them in class and many students of all ability levels have checked them out.
  Sometimes with the book, sometimes without the book.  Good luck!  I think
it is a great way to expand the collection and certainly is good PR.
---
We have a few titles and they check out for the same length of time as the
books (two weeks for non-fiction, four for fiction).  The reasoning behind
that is generally they are used as a read along.
---
We check them out for 2 weeks, always renewable unless there's a hold
request.
---
We check out books on tape the same as regular books.  Same late fees, and
lost ones are charged original purchase price.
---
We check out books on tape/CD to students.  Same checkout length (3 wks) as
for books.  I do mention during orientation that this format is much more
expensive to purchase and thus should be taken very good care of.
---
I circulate the books on tape or CD for the same period as we do books in my
middle-high school media center, 3 weeks.
---
We are a middle school with a small collection of tapes, audio CDs, and
books available on MP3 players. Yes, we check them out to students.  We have
the same policy as for our printed books - 2 weeks.
---
We check out books on tape for the same period as books, two weeks, and
renewal for another two weeks if no one else has a hold on the item.  So
far, we have only books on cassette, no cd's yet.
---
We check out audio books and kits, as well as videos.  Same circ period as
other materials.  May also be reserved/renewed.
---
I check out audio books, both on cassette and CD--whichever we have.  The
checkout period is same as for a book because most of my students want the
book and the tape together. Without the book, they would be just staring at
the wall.  Some listen while they drive, but most listen at home. I make a
point to buy the audio versions that YALSA recommends each year.  We're
getting a lot of circulation on Son of the Mob, and Hole in my Life, Stoner
and Spaz, Dunk, Speak, Seek, one of the Harry Potter books (can't remember
which we have on tape--but it is gigantic), Of Mice and Men, etc.

Thank you again to everyone who sent me a reply!

Susan Rudisill Myers
Head Librarian
Spartanburg High School
rudimyers@hotmail.com