LEF must have purchased a great e-mail list.  I received an e-mail from LEF this
afternoon, too.

Several things about the website sounded familiar, and in a search on LEF, I
discovered why.  It looks like it's operated by Bruce Larkin, the self-described
“published author of over four hundred early children’s books.”  I remember an
LM_Net posting with information on his other mass e-mailing—which came from
www.wilbooks.com -- just about 4 weeks ago.  One link to the archives is:
http://tinyurl.com/9nhr9 or
http://www.eduref.org/plweb-cgi/fastweb?getdoc+listservs+LM_NET+534535+2+wAAA+larkin
   (I searched Bruce Larkin in the archives and got quite a few hits; he must send
out regular e-mails!)

The offer from LEF, on several of its order forms, refers people to the “Books from
Bruce” program.  None of the various programs offered by LEF give you a list of
what you’re buying.  This makes a certain amount of sense for the “gently used”
recycled books—but there are no lists of titles for the programs which offer new
books, either.   I wonder if they are all Larkin books.

I note that “shipping and handling” is $65 for 100 books—65 cents per book, which
may or may not be a bargain, depending on what you end up getting.  I’d rather pay
a dime or a quarter a piece at a used book sale at the public library—where I’d be
able to see what I was buying.  An old expression about a buying a pig in a poke
seems to apply here…

Anne-Marie Gordon, Librarian
Livonia Primary School
Livonia, NY
agordon@livoniacsd.org
http://www.livoniacsd.org/primaryschool/gordon/index.htm

"A life without stories would be no life at all."  --from Alexander McCall Smith's,
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies.
>>> Rhonella Brelinski <BrelinRH@MYEAGLES.ORG> 11/29/05 1:34 PM >>>
Has anyone had any dealings with LEF (Literacy Empowerment Foundation)? They
advertise low or free books--just pay shipping/handling fee.