First, I want to thank everyone for their responses to my problem of having a
multimedia projector that only shows a black box when playing a video clip
even though the laptop has the video clip showing.  I received a wide variety
of responses but was waiting to post a hit until I had a chance to resolve
the problem.  It hasn't been resolved yet, but I wanted to go ahead and thank
everyone and post a hit of possible solutions.

*       Many suggested using the Function Key and the Monitor Key (usually F4
or F5)-This is not our particular problem since all of the rest of the image
appears but just not the video clip.
*       The more complex solution is to right click the desktop and pull up
properties.  Go to settings > advanced > troubleshoot.  Change Hardware
acceleration to none.
*       I paused the video and used the function and CRT/LCD keys on the
laptop to cycle through the video inputs on the projector.  This fixed my
problem although in my instance it made the video a little smaller than it
was supposed to be.
*       We too have had this happen, but only (so far) when using a laptop
computer.  I was told that the problem has something to do with the video
card in the computer and it could be corrected by holding down the FN button
on the keyboard and pressing the F8 button at the same time.  However, before
this could be tried, the teacher had switched the connection to the second
computer input and that had corrected the problem.
        Try this:
        1) Right click on Desktop.
        2) Click on "Properties."
        3) Click on "Settings."
        4) Click on "Advanced."
        5) Click on "Troubleshoot."
        6) Slide the arrow to the far left on the "Acceleration" part of the
screen so it is set for "None."
        7) Click "Apply" and "Okay."
*       If you are playing the video from a computer or laptop, you want to
check the Acceleration. In Windows Media Player Go to
Tools--Options--Performance -- and lower the Acceleration to NONE. We found
this to be the solution.
*       Have you tried changing the resolution on the computer?  To as low as
it will go?  Have you tried to embed the video clip a second time?  Will it
work with as a link?  Are you projecting through the computer AND the
projector?  Take it off the computer by trying the F8 key and see if that
makes a difference.
*       I had this happen to me. This is what I think was my solution. I
didn't have the updated windows player that I needed for some of the videos.
In addition to the black box, you may find that you get a picture and no
sound. Once again, I needed to update my video player.
*       My solution would be to make sure you have multiple monitors enabled
under the control panels.
*       Are you playing the videos using Windows Media Player? You might try
adjusting settings within WMP. We have had similar issues and this has worked
for us. Open WMP; click on Tools, Options. Click on the Performance tab and
move the Video Accelerator slide bar from full to the middle of the bar.
*       Yes, I have seen the problem and can tell you how to fix it.
Different projectors handle the video signal differently. With some
projectors, you must dedicate the output signal to the external "monitor"
(AKA the projection screen hanging on the wall) and your laptop or PCU
monitor screen blank. This will fix it. Other projectors function perfectly
well using the simultaneous display mode - signal on the laptop display plus
signal to the wall screen. Just a tip so your teachers won't keep getting
frustrated... identify which projectors require the dedicated mode and label
those projectors. On the label, tell the user how to toggle the laptop or PCU
to "dedicate" the image to the wall screen.
*       I have seen this problem with united streaming. Two things have
worked. The first was to make the video just play through the projector with
the computer screen blank. The other was to switch to the stand alone windows
media player.
I hope this helps for those who may have similar problems.  Thanks again to
everyone who shared their knowledge/experiences!

Sincerely,

Cindy Schmidt, Librarian/NBCT
Central Middle School
P. O. Box 748