Please forgive me for reviving a mostly over thread, but I love this stuff:

I have to smile a bit when I see folks getting indignant about language and either
new use for old words, new words, new forms of words, or any combination thereof.
One reason English is used in more areas of the world than any other language is
that it is readily adaptable, not only in its form, but also its many users
*consider* it readily adaptable. Therefore, people are comfortable coining new
words like *efforting*, even though I’d never heard of it and agree that it seems
like a lazy person’s version of “struggling to achieve a solution regarding…”

And yet, as I write that, I hear a bit of English Teacher Snob coming through: am I
therefore disparaging anyone who uses “bike” instead of bicycle, “car” instead of
“automobile”? I don’t mean to; I personally would rather be clear rather than use
“effort” as a gerund.

Language is social, political, powerful—on and on. Our *judgements* regarding use
of language is what makes it such, and in my opinion we need to be very careful
before we call anything “not a word” or “incorrect English” that we are not calling
*those who use* such language “incorrect” or “not up to our standards.”

I don’t mean we can make up words; just because I call a 7 inch long quarter inch
diameter Phillips screwdriver a “goop” because it’s shorter doesn’t mean that’s
what it’s called. There *does* need to be agreement regarding word definition and
usage in order to have a system of language. But dialect, jargon, idiom—all of the
colorful aspects that make English interesting to me as a system of communication
certainly *are* words…but they are not appropriate for all situations. If I used
“efforting” at a business conference, I still wouldn’t use it when talking to my
grandmother.

That to me is the key to the original posting of this question: is the use of
“efforting” appropriate (whether a word or not, which I would say: sure, why not)
in a school environment? To me, it depends whether students are intellectually
capable of understanding that language is malleable to a point and has social,
political, etc implications. First graders: do I use it? No way! High schoolers?
Sure: but I’d also like to have a discussion with them regarding the word
schadenfreude and whether English needs (or has) an equivalent: see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude I would also let them know “efforting”
was a business term that I personally found to be lazy shorthand (like using
‘stuff’), but I would encourage them to draw their own conclusions.

I think that Denise’s experience with her challenge to the correctness of the word
really demonstrates how personally we take the words we use, and how we feel our
language defines us. When we question anyone’s use of language, we question them
personally…even when we do it jokingly. Sometimes people can’t or don’t get the
joke, and *sometimes* people reveal (I don’t mean you, Denise, I mean people like
Barbara Bush) their own limited understanding of other people’s lives and personal
situations: “And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were
underprivileged anyway, so this--this is working very well for them.” See:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/06/opinion/main821528.shtml

Ultimately, our use of language and our attitudes toward it can reveal quite a bit
about us.

Off the stump now.

***
"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social
transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence
of the good people."
--Martin Luther King
***
Brent Bradley, LMS at Valley View Community & Henry Wilson Memorial in Farmington,
NH
bsb underscore lib at yahoo dot com

Yahoo! for Good