I have used Junior Library Guild for about four years and I would highly recommend
them to librarians who don't have the time to select materials for their students,
who can't  read reviews or don't have access to reviews, or who want to stay
current with a specific level of materials for students but aren't familiar with
what's out there.  (Especially if you've changed recently from an elementary level
to a high school level or anything like that.)

Every title that I have received from them was a HIT...and many end up on state
reading lists!  I was often amazed at how many of the titles I chose "to buy"
through my review process (reading journals), and then discovered them in my next
month's selection!  It was a great way to feel "vindicated" about my choices in
materials, especially when the titles I chose ended up on the state's reading list.

I would highly recommend them for at least one year...I think after you've seen the
materials you receive, you'll continue with this program.  It's a great time saver,
a great way to add current materials immediately to the shelves, and they provide
you with MARC records...what else can you ask for in a service?

Hope you'll consider it.... (and no, I don't have any connection to the product
other than being a "happy customer!")

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco@fwcds.org

>>> "Huffman, Brandy S." <bshuffman@BURKE.K12.NC.US> 10/03/05 9:22 AM >>>
Happy Monday to everyone.  I was wondering how many of my public school colleagues
subscribed to Junior Library Guild.  Some of the other Middle School librarians in
my county swear by them, but I am just a little uncomfortable with the idea of
taking in books that I personally have not selected.  Any advice?
Thanks,
Brandy Huffman
Media Coordinator
Walter Johnson Middle School