I have been looking at Google Print recently and am finding it
fascinating.  It takes some time to "get the hang" of how it works - but
once you do, it is amazing.  Here is what I tried out today.  A topic of
interest every year for our big 9th grade research project is "violence
in music".  And the topic of "music warning labels" comes up for a 12th
grade Participation In Government debate.  I searched Google Print for
books with music and violence as keywords and found a number of
interesting books on the topic.  Because I could look through a few
pages of the books, I was able to quickly determine if they were at an
appropriate level.

I then went on to enter the following search: +music +"warning labels".
 I also found some interesting books.  Once I clicked into a book, I
could then enter just "warning labels" and see how much information was
offered on that narrow topic within the book.  Once you click into a
particular book, you are given all the bibliographic info you need to
copy/paste into a consideration file.  You also have handy links to
reviews that you could also cut and paste into a consideration file.
This way you can make your final purchasing decisions based on a great
deal of information.  You have seen the cover, read a page or so of
information to decide on readability for your patrons, AND you have
looked at book reviews.

Now - whether you can search by age level - I am just not sure yet.  It
does not appear so.  I have to spend more time searching.  I can see
where searching for broad subject areas could be overwhelming if all
levels of books are thrown together.  And right now I am sure the
database is somewhat limited.  But for the 2 topics I was interested in,
I was able to quickly identify 5 or 6 books on my rather narrow topic
that were appropriate in level and well reviewed.  Interesting......

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)