 From Now On
The Educational Technology Journal
Vol 15|No 1|October|2005

This month's issue has one article that is best read
on line to appreciate more than a dozen illustrating images
and to take advantage of the many links to on line resources.

"Wondering with and about Images" - (Excerpt below)
by Jamie McKenize
http://fno.org/oct05/images.html

"Wondering with and about Images" - (Excerpt)
by Jamie McKenize

While images and imagery abound, sometimes we now suffer from the
poverty of abundance.

Not all images are created equal and not all images are equally
evocative or worthy of our attention.

The abundance raises issues of strategy, choice and discretion that
this article addresses.

How can we make the best possible use of these resources?

The Image That Speaks Volumes

     * Evokes
     * Provokes
     * Kindles
     * Awakens
     * Suggests
     * Stirs
     * Invokes
     * Agitates
     * Educates

Because images and imagery are used by powerful people to influence our
thinking and our actions, schools must acquaint young ones with the
ways that images can stir us or agitate us.

Students must learn to view images critically as well as appreciatively.

They must also learn to communicate with images.

----- Learning to Ponder and Wonder

What is the difference between pondering and wondering?

Most definitions of pondering focus on considering with depth,
thoroughness and care while wondering might bring amazement, doubt or
curiosity into play.

There is often overlap between the terms, but when it comes to images
like the one to the right, both pondering and wondering are required to
grasp the possibilities.

While we may view an image flattened on a screen or page, its meaning
is much more complicated than what first meets the eye. The viewer must
probe below the flat surface to consider the following elements:

     * Layers
     * Inferences
     * Projection
     * Archetypes
     * Metaphors
     * Symbols
     * Myths
     * Stories

Explore each of the above elements by clicking on them.

----- Types of Images

In societies that rely upon images to communicate basic truths and
messages, we owe it to the young to equip them with visual literacy
skills - the ability to interpret and make sense of a variety of image
types:

Types of Images

     * Paintings
     * Photographs
     * Charts
     * Ads and Posters
     * Illustrations
     * Covers
     * Packaging
     * Videos

The rest of this article will explore strategies to use digital images
to develop visual literacy skills with several of the types of images
listed above.

Continued at http://fno.org/oct05/images.html