J-
SOme of this is a bit incorrect.

First, Google Print and Google Library are two separate projects. Google
Library is a part of Google Print.

At the moment,  Google has STOPPED scanning library books that are still in
copyright due to copyright concerns.

If/when this begins again Google will not SHOW the full text of books that are
still in copyright scanned from a library. All the searcher will see is a
brief snippet.

On the other hand, Google Print takes material directly from publishers who
decide how much of the book can be viewed online.

In this post (about 1/2 through), I do my best to explain the diffs and show
screen caps of what they user will see.
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050523-125511

Also, Amazon's Search Inside the Book does almost exactly the same thing as
the Google Print program. In fact, I regularly find books in there that are
not in Google Print.

Finally, Yahoo and The Internet Archive announced a new and excititng
initiative today. Details here:
http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3553086

P.S. Ever used the Online Books Page (tens of thousands of full text books,
free, from hundreds of sources)
htpt://digital.library.upenn.edu/books
Just look at the amount of material added each day:

cheers,
gary

Quoting Jacqueline Henry <JHenry@GANANDA.ORG>:

> Sorry - I forgot to post the url for Google Print.  Here it is:
> http://print.google.com/
>
> If you are not familiar with Google Print - here is an explanation - at
> least according to my understanding.  In a nutshell - Google has been
> scanning full text books into a searchable database.  They get the books
> from a number of college libraries, public domain books and also new
> books from  those publishers who choose to participate.  For books that
> are still copyrighted, you cannot read the entire book online - but a
> keyword search will search the entire book and present you with about 5
> pages of text from the book.  As you can imagine, there are a lot of
> copyright issues being hotly debated about this project.
>
> Hopefully this clears up my confusing initial posting.
>
> Jacquie
>
> "The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
> poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
> way."
>
> From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jacquie Henry, MLS
> Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
> Gananda Central School District
> 3195 Wiedrick Road
> P.O. Box 609
> Macedon, NY  14502
> 315-986-3521 x 3144
> jhenry@gananda.org
> http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/indexgcl.htm

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Editor, ResourceShelf and DocuTicker
News Editor, Search Engine Watch
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting

Visit ResourceShelf and Docuticker
http://www.resourceshelf.com
http://www.docuticker.com