After the discussion on this topic recently, I decided to ask my three
children what their universities say. All three are at different schools
(in two different states) with three different majors, so there is a
fair range here. This is what they said:

 From my Comp Sci Junior:

I haven't had too many classes where I've had to write papers. Also,
most of those have been papers related to computers. Usually I'm allowed
to use just about anything I can find on the Internet. Everyone has
required at least one "hard" source (book, primary source, etc.).
Internet and periodicals usually fall under "soft" sources. The new MLA
and APA standards (if I've got the alphabet soup correct) include the
proper way of writing stuff for Internet sources.

For a short answer, Internet sources are permitted, but at least one
"hard" source is required, unless the topic dictates otherwise.

 From my Theater major Sophomore:

So far my profs have allowed some Internet research, but only a limited
amount such as 1-2 Internet sources and 3-5 non Internet. We also
weren't allowed to use websites that were older than 5 years, but that
was only for one class. Hope that helps.

 From my early childhood ed Sophomore:

We are allowed to use thing from the Internet. Many profs will specify
that we must use Academic Search Premier to find articles that are also
in the library.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke,
MS/HS librarian