I had that battle with an instructor once.  The way I solved it....I was able to
get my hands on a copy of the TCLC (Twentieth Century Literary Criticism) that
contained information about an author that was assigned.

I asked the teacher to "look through this wonderful resource in print" and let me
know if this would be an acceptable product for research by the students.  She read
through some of the information and said that she would allow the students to use
those materials if we had access to them---or if I could direct the class to a
university library that contained those materials.

I then took her to the computer and pulled up the SAME article in the Literature
Resource Center database and showed it to her...we read along (word by word) so
that she would understand that this was a "digitalized book" online for ALL of the
students to have immediate access to---and I then reminded her that if one student
wanted to use the copy that she had, then others had to wait in order to use the
same information.  The database allowed everyone to use everything at once.

She finally gave in...and the next year was heaven!!!

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco@fwcds.org

>>> Barbara Ruszkowski <brusz@COMCAST.NET> 10/05/05 12:40 PM >>>
Dear Wise Colleagues,
The English chair at my school is my age (seasoned), but she does not deal well
with technology.  Each senior must write a literary criticism research paper using
at least ten sources, and all 160 students work on the research at the same time.
You can see the strain on our resources.  We subscribe to both Literature Resource
Center and Student Resource Center from Gale.  The English chair refuses to accept
any of the scholarly articles from either of these databases.  Yes, I have tried
numerous times to help her understand the difference between an aricle in a
subscription database and an Internet page.  Yes, I have taught the students the
difference between a scholarly source and a general information article.  I am at
my wit's end!  In order to help the students, I am sorely tempted to advise them to
cite their articles as if they were the original sources instead of including the
information about the database.  Even after writing it, I know it is wrong;
however, the re!
 sources we pay for are perfectly acceptable except for one instructor's failure to
learn about them.  I feel torn between my desire to help my students and my ethical
responsibility to teach them to properly attribute their sources.  Thank you for
reading my rant.  I am asking for any words of wisdom to help me through my dilemma.

Barbara Ruszkowski
Librarian
Padua Academy
905 N Broom Street