I think perhaps this question and the reponses are misleading because:
1. Winnebago no longer exists - it was purchased by Sagebrush several years ago
2. The programs supported by Sagebrush are Spectrum, Athena, Accent, and
InfoCentre. Which are people referring to when they say Winnebago?
3. If someone is still using an old version of Winnebago CIrc/cat on a DOS platform
-- then anything would be better then that.
4. If you are comparing products - you have to compare feature to feature on an
appropropriate platform. That is what an RFP is for. You would be surprised what
you find when you ask a variety of vendors that same questions and start comparing
functionaltiy.

Paula

ellen frank <efrankbayer@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
Hit: Destiny vs. Winnebago
Below is a summary of the responses I received asking people to compare
Destiny to Winnebago.
Destiny v. Winnebago

We use Destiny (switched from Dynix) and we LOVE it! It is by far the best
automation system I've used, so I would highly recommend it! Very easy to
use
and great tech support.

Our district uses Destiny and we love it. The company is very customer
oriented and the product is excellent. Let me know if you have specific
questions.

I have moved from a district that had Follett, to a district that had
Spectrum,now I'm at a district in which we just updated to Destiny from
Follett Circ Plus.
I think both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I like
Destiny because it is a web based program that allows me to work on the
system from any where.

I've used both. Destiny is completely web based and my tech guys love that.
I prefer destiny but lked many things with Winnebago too. It really
depends on what you are after. Easier, no, just different. Course, I
thought wInn was cake so..............

Ellen: would you let me know what people say? I am using Winnebago for the
first time this year and I can't stand it...

ellen frank wrote:

Something to consider about these web-based programs is what happens if your
school can no longer afford the annual fees? We have many very small
schools in my county (e.g. 7 students, 20 students, etc.) that purchased the
CDROM products from Follett. They have local programs installed on local
site computers. When push comes to shove these small schools drop their
support agreements with the company due to real or perceived lack of funds,
yet they still are operational in their libraries because they own the
software and it resides on their local computers.

What would happen if these schools had switched to Destiny and then could
no longer pay the yearly fee? Would they no longer have access to their own
database? The fee seems relatively small (around $800), but if your school
has only 20 students in it, that $800 can be significant, and, sadly, not
all school decision-makers list their school library as a top priority when
it comes to divvying up the dollars.

When I asked the Follett rep about this, she did now know what would happen
if a school using Destiny dropped their annual agreement, saying that she
would find out. I haven't heard back yet and am curious to know. Maybe my
concerns are unfounded and Follett would simply allow Destiny users to
continue access for free but simply not provide updates or other services.
If anyone on the list has an answer to this I'd like to hear it.
We have just switched from Spectrum to Infocentre. The switch was very easy
and we like Infocentre a lot. You might want to check it out.

We are part of a consortium of libraries that have gone to Destiny. We
like it so far. Check out our Destiny site:
http://216.239.28.20/

You can see DL Middle School in the fifth box down on the left column.
If you have specific questions, please write back and I will do my best
to answer.

Brook

Brook A. Berg
Library Media Director
Detroit Lakes Middle School
500 11th Ave.
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
218-847-9228 ext. 3322

I think you would be smart to check out the Alexandria system from COMPanion
Corporation. I really belive it's much easier to use than Follett. The web
site is www.goalexandria.com

Randi Louise Hermans
BCTLA Vice President
Teacher-librarian
Evans Elementary K-6
Chilliwack, B.C., Canada
rhermans@shaw.ca

do not have experience with Winnebago but we spent one year looking and
chose Destiny. It is wonderful. Previous experience was with a real dog
but this is a dream. Very easy to use for students and staff. Very
professional company with good tech support.

We just converted and it is wonderful!!! Follett holds your hand through
the whole process. Today was our first training day with Destiny and I
absolutely love it. I hated Winnebago thru and thru....

We are currently using Follett's software for our automated system and =
are pleased with it most of the time. However, we are eager to try =
Destiny because it's web-based, which means our kids can access the OPAC =
without our having to install software on each of the computers. And =
more important, we'll have easy access to student records (which we are =
having trouble accessing right now). In addition, all updates are done =
by Follett -- we wouldn't have to download and update ourselves.
=20
It costs about $4,500 plus some additional fees for the initial year, =
and then a yearly fee which is less. We think it's worth it and are =
going to talk to our Administration about it.
=20
Subject: Re: Follet's Destiny Software

ABSOLUTELY YES!!!!!!!!

What I like about it is that it is web based so that both I and my =
patrons can access where ever there is Internet access. I find that the =
reports are helpful and easy to run in most cases. Sometimes I have to =
play to get exactly the results I desire, but I like to play so that is =
okay. I discover additional features that way most times. It is =
matched to ATS from a remote location which has pluses and minuses. The =
plus being I don't have to do it and be bothered with that additional =
task. The minus being I don't have control over how frequently that is =
done in a school with an ever shifting population.
=20
Lastly, the Internet connection in my school and in my library is fairly =
reliable so I have not had to experience the issue of lack of access due =
to the Internet going down. I know that I will still be able to =
circulate without it and upload later and that is a plus in terms of =
circulation. In terms of searching the catalog that will still be an =
issue if the Internet is out. I would love the speed to be quicker =
though as it tends to slow down during the peak of the day when the =
Internet in general slows down but I'm thinking that's a tech issue in the
building that effects every body and not just library users =
searching Destiny.

I have used Mandarin, Winnebago, and evaluated Athena in comparison to
those as well. Destiny is BY FAR the most thorough and easiest to use them
all. I LOVE IT! Cataloging is almost a no-brainer; reports are =
comprehensive and thorough; circulation is a breeze. It is almost like
having a library assistant (I wish). The fact that it is web-based saves
everyone in the building--especially me--time and effort. My kids are
largely non-English speaking; 98% (yes, that is an accurate figure) do not
speak English at home and have no one to help them with homework or
research. The ability to program the home page with links to good
information is a godsend--these kids have a virtual library at their
fingertips. They can print a booklist anytime from anywhere and do not have
to be in the LMC to do it. Teachers access our resources when they are
lesson planning and at their leisure. I don't think I could function without
it.

________________________________

To: NYCSLIST@NETPALS.LSOFT.COM

Follet's Destiny is the first automation system that I have worked with =
in a school library outside of my internship experience. I say that =
first so that you know that I don't actually have a real comparison to =
it.=20

[...]

Ellen Frank, librarian
Jamaica High School
167-01 Gothic Drive
Jamaica, New York 11432
efrankbayer@hotmail.com

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214