Hello all!
Today at my new school the English teacher got snippy with me when I told her class
not to turn off the computers at the end of the day.  She was insistent that they
would be fried.  She said each class that uses the lab (downstairs, not my
responsibility) has to turn off the computers (several times a day)  I'm not sure
if she was thinking of the log in process instead of rebooting.  Since she was
snippy she lost the opportunity to discuss it rationally.  BUT we are having a
staff technology meeting tomorrow so I'd like to be ready!  We are a very poor
school and extremely energy conscious.  We do have problems when it is hot, but
that is no longer the case.

When I started there, the hard drive would shut off automatically after 15 minutes
and the screens went off after 5!  Even if the computers were on the screens were
black so the students didn't go near them.  It takes an average of 13 minutes for
them to run their security check.  So if I have a class, I have to turn them all on
in advance, and I also log in to each one so that they don't have to take the time
to do it themselves.   Of course, by the time the class arrives, they are shut off
again!  If I leave them on overnight...the security check is done when I arrive.

So I reset the timers to go to a screen saver instead of turning off the monitor
right away, then I reset the hard drive to stay on for five hours (so that if I
turn them on at 9:30 they will still be on when the last class arrives at 1:55.
IMHO if the monitor is off, I can't tell at  glance if the computer is still on.  I
have been leaving them on during the week with no problems, and I know they will be
used tomorrow morning so I felt justified in leaving them on tonight.  I would turn
them off tomorrow afternoon and not turn them back on until Tuesday.

Am I right?  Or is she?  I leave my computer at home on all the time but maybe a
network is different?  Aargh.  I hate having to justify my actions...especially
when no one bothered to inform me otherwise of my responsibilities in this matter
in advance.

Susan Waring
SLMS
OLS-Seton Middle Campus