This is a request to all of you to send your good wishes, good vibes,
prayers, positive energy, whatever you would like to call it, to the
teachers and teacher-librarians of British Columbia.  After having the last
4 contracts imposed upon us, our government decided this week to arbitrarily
extend our long expired contract until June 2006, even though we were in a
legal position to take job action.  By doing this, they have made any job
action we were engaged in illegal.  They want us to accept 0% over three
years.  This doesn't even consider that they (again arbitrarily) stripped
our contract of class size caps, minimum standards for teacher-librarians
(many schools have lost them entirely), counselors, ESL teachers, and
Special Needs teachers four years ago.  Not to mention that the funding for
libraries has dropped from $18/student in 1991 to $7.41/student today.  This
is targeted funding and some schools don't even get this as a minimum.  So,
as of tomorrow morning all teachers (and of course teacher-librarians) are
staging a wildcat strike until our government sees fit to negotiate with us
in a respectful, fair and democratic way.  The 43,000+ teachers of BC need
all the good wishes and prayers we can get.  Wish us luck.

Diane Gallagher-Hayashi
Teacher-librarian
Stelly's School
SD63 (Saanich)
Saanichton, B.C.
Canada
Diane_Hayashi@sd63.bc.ca
daichan@shaw.ca

"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other."
John Franklin Kennedy - speech prepared for delivery in Dallas the day of his
assassination, November 22, 1963