Colleagues:
Monday morning I need to stand in front of a class at Parsons HS and tell
them why print sources are important.  I found myself looking at electronic
sources to give me some ideas - any irony in that?  I've listed 14 sort of
ephemeral reasons to use print resources in research, what are some of your
ideas about using print resources.  Please respond off list ASAP if you can
help.  hwillems@sekls.org

hw.sekls

Questions to ask yourself:

1.  What do I do when I don't have access to a computer?

2.  Do electronic resources last as long as print resources?

3.  Reading in context, what surrounds your article etc?

4.  What is the serendipity factor?

5.  What does cataloging have to do with it?

6.  What's the difference between an online primary source and having the
source in your hand?

7.  Is all the information that you'll ever need in electronic format?

8.  How do you read best-sellers?

9.  Using only online sources most always means that we have not done the
best information search?

10.  What does authority control have to do with it?

11.  Where does one find the best help finding information?

12.  Am I a competent searcher?  Do I get a few relevant hits, or am I
deluged with millions of irrelevant websites?

13.  Are you an A student or a C student?

14.  How do I find out about what terms to search?

Harry Willems
Southeast Kansas Library System

Harry Willems, Consultant Asst. Dir.            620.365.5136
Southeast Kansas Library System         620.365.5137 (fax)
Iola, KS  66749                         hwillems@sekls.org

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.