I posted a message last June about my para being taken out of the library this
school year so I thought I'd give you an update.

I service over 500 kindergarten through 2nd grade children per week with 34 classes
per week.  My para is now here only 2 hours in the AM.  She is being used elsewhere
since I have these "big blocks of time" to shelve books myself.  I am finding it
difficult to teach, do clerical duties and manage a facility without her.  I am
collecting books in the AM and having them checked in and overdues printed out.
However, when the class is in the library, I still need to teach a lesson, assist
students with finding books and then checking them out - all in a 30 minute period.
 I need to find ways to better manage this time.  My para always checked out the
books while I assisted students.  I have boxes of new books sitting here unopened,
book carts overflowing with returns and I am overwhelmed.  I have spoken with the
PTA and they are asking for library volunteers but no takers!  When I am out at a
meeting or sick, the students cannot check out books.  I always had my para to
assist!
  the
 substitute with that aspect.  The subs do not know the circulation system and
since it's always a different sub, it's impossible to train them all.  I guess my
new philosphy is that I am only one person so I will do my best to maintain the
quality of my library program but I can't do it all.....and my mantra for this year
"Sorry, I don't have a para".

Doreen Shultz, LMS
Mary G. Clarkson Primary School
Bay Shore, NY  11706