My original question:
I'd like to be able to access my school calendar from home, and include all my
daily classes…the great difficulty I have with most calendars is that my school is
on a six-day rotation, which makes most calendar programs impossible to work with,
because either you can set repeating events for “once a week” or you can set them
to recur every 6 days—but you have to include the weekends.

I had more requests for a hit than I had replies, but here’s a summary:
--scan calendar pages and post them to the web.
--Outlook
--use Palm handheld and sync at home and at school
--build a calendar on FrontPage and update as needed.
--take your calendar home—and don’t forget to take it back to school with you!
(That reply made me smile!)

Two people recommended www.localendar.com, which does have a “recurrence” feature.
 I also found some nice features at www.yourorganiser.com.  However, items can be
set to recur “monthly” or on a particular day of the week.  (But since my school’s
schedule rotates every six weekdays, a class I taught on Monday last week will be
on Tuesday this week; I’m back to cutting and pasting every occurrence.)  I will
recommend their user support--I posted a question in their forum and received the
reply very quickly.  Unfortunately for me, there isn’t a way to schedule a six-day
rotation.
I also tried www.HotDiary.com: sloooooooow, and they don’t actually delete your
account when you click “delete."

That said, www.localendar.com and www.yourorganiser.com both have easy-to-use
interfaces and a pretty quick “save as a copy” function:  the user can save copies
of a recurring item, and then save each copy with a different date.  Localendar.com
isn’t very happy with Mozilla Firefox, but has a public view link option, which
means you can easily link your calendar to your webpage for teachers, parents, and
students to view.  Yourorganiser.com works quite well with Firefox, but doesn’t
have an option for public viewing; the information can only be accessed with a
password.

Microsoft Outlook, Palm Desktop, and the newly released calendar application for
Firefox, Mozilla Sunbird, all have the same problem:  if you set an item to recur
every 6 days, eventually the sixth day will be a Saturday or Sunday, and you’ll
have to go in and edit.

I’ll probably go with localendar.com.

If anyone knows how to make these programs only “count” the weekdays, please let me
know!  Or perhaps there’s some algorithm to getting the pattern repeating properly,
but I’m math-challenged…

Anne-Marie Gordon, Librarian
Livonia Primary School
Livonia, NY
agordon@livoniacsd.org
http://www.livoniacsd.org/primaryschool/gordon/index.htm

"A library is not a luxury, but one of the necessities of life."  Henry Ward
Beecher.