Peter asked -- so here are my thoughts.

I noticed this year that there were many fewer "literature" sessions
than in previous years -- and many fewer authors providing sessions,
signing etc.

I did attend great sessions about using technology to integrate
standards and content area curriculum -- as well as government
documents.  A lot more emphasize, it seemed, on using technology as a
tool NOT AS A subject itself.   Sort of like not teaching how to make
a powerpoint program for the sake of creating a powerpoint
pesentation rather than showcasing a specific unit of work (and
choosing a powerpoint presentation as the vehicle for showcasing that
unit - research or whatever).

David Loertscher's BAN THE BIRD UNITS -- was superb.  Standing room only.

Toni Buzzeo was declared the "Queen of Collaboration" -- at the
Linworth-Gale Forum on Friday morning.  I think there are
possibilities here for a great logo for her wonderful collaboration
workshops.  :>)

PDF files for the handouts for my presentation "Whetting the Readers'
Appetite" are available at
http://www.mcelmeel.com/curriculum/handouts.html
along with several handouts from other presentations that I have
given this fall.
I understand that copies of handouts from all sessions - -or at least
those whose creators provided permission) will be available on the
AASL portion of the ALA website.  But if the handouts from other
sessions are similar to mine -- those who print off just the handout
will not have the true flavor of the presentation -- nor will they
have all of the information given.  Nothing suffices as a substitute
for being there - -the people, the networking, the ideas that flow
from every corner.

The closing session forum was thought-provoking -- but I am still
left to wonder do we or do we not have the stats to convincingly
convince administrators that LMS s do make a significant impact on
the growth of students in relation to the standards.?

And frankly, even though the moderator jokingly acknowledged the lack
of affirmative action in regard to members of the forum -- they were
ALL men; I found it not to be a joking matter.  I find it somewhat
perplexing that in a profession with a preponderance of women we
could not find even ONE to sit on the panel with the men that were
there.  I think the problem reaches beyond the panel but in many ways
reaches INTO the problem.  If school physical education teachers were
predominantly women would we be cutting the positions and questioning
whether or not we can cite specific growth in the quest to reduce the
number of obese children in school?  And if the position of principal
were most often held by women would we be questioning the value of
having a full-time principal to run a school? -- after all they do
not have a classroom they are responsible for; and few of us know
what they do all day.

Is this just one more example of not taking women seriously?  With
all the female LMS's not one was qualified to be among the scholars?
If we can't take ourselves seriously -- and where were the SCHOOL
LMS?  What we had were very knowledgeable but NO WOMEN and no current
school librarians (or library teachers -- a term that Michael made a
compelling case for).  -- a shame.

Steven Baule  -- superintendent of schools
Mike Eisenberg -- college professor
Keith Curry Lance -- college professor/researcher
and Ross Todd --associate professor
moderated by Ferdi Serim-- founder of the Online Internet Institute
<http://oii.org> and former editor of Multimedia & Internet@Schools
magazine

The final night's GALA sponsored by Scholastic (THANK YOU) provided a
few moments to smooze with old friends, tell stories (and they were
funny - and very ...)

One of the over riding tips is to organize and make contacts BEFORE
embarking on the travel -- it was very difficult to make specific
connections once we were there unless one had hotel names, cell phone
numbers, places predesignated for meeting etc.   But armed with all
the right information- -and some preplanning, I managed to have a
wonderful dinner with fellow authors and LMS at the Georgetown Inn --
overlooking the city; a lunch with fellow writers of prof. materials,
and so forth.

The entire conference was one that generated ideas for new books
,writing ideas , activities to share with classroom teachers,
connections of all kinds.

--
===============
Sharron L. McElmeel  http://www.mcelmeel.com

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562  VOICE
fax (319) 393-4749 (If line is busy, initiate a voice call and ask
that the line be made available for a fax transmission.)

NEW:  Authors in the Kitchen: Recipes, Stories, and More (Libraries
Unlimited, 2005), Best Teen Reads: 2005 (HiWillow), and Young Adult
Literature and Multimedia (co-authored, HiWillow, 2005)

Author of  Children's Authors and Illustrators Too Good to Miss
(Libraries Unlimited); 100 Most Popular Children's Authors (Libraries
Unlimited), 100 Most Popular Picture Book Authors and Illustrators
(Libraries Unlimited), Character Education: A Book Guide for
Teachers, Librarians, and Parents (Libraries Unlimited) and other
titles (http://www.mcelmeel.com/writing).

Forthcoming:   Authors in the Pantry: Recipes, Stories, and More
(Libraries Unlimited)