Hi folks,

For your consideration....

Letter from the Flat World Library Corporation

I wouldnıt be surprised to read this letter in the not too distant futureŠ

October 7, 2007

Superintendent Dennis Wormwood
Left Overshoe Public Schools
Left Overshoe, MN 56034

Dear Superintendent Wormwood:

We at the Flat World Library Corporation can offer you a complete library
program at a very attractive price.

For considerably less than you currently pay for your K-12 library program,
we can provide a full range of library resources AND library expertise ­ all
online.

For only pennies a day per student, FWLC will:

1. Provide a full range of reading materials (periodicals, picture books,
fiction and non-fiction titles), videos and reference sources that are
tailored to your state standards, your districtıs curriculum and your
digital textbook series. These resources are being continuously updated, and
are available, of course, in a wide range of lexile ranges to support your
differentiated instruction efforts. Our filters allow you to specify access
only to the materials supporting your communityıs views on issues ranging
from abortion to gay rights to evolution. Select from ³university community²
to ³small town Kansas² in your settings.

2. Provide ready reference services, student research help, readersı
advisory service, and curricular planning advice through our real-time
connections (video, chat or e-mail) to our experts in Bangalore, India.
These highly-qualified MLS certified professionals will be available 24/7 to
both your staff and students from school or home. (Do you currently get
service from your library staff outside of school hours, in the summer or on
weekends?)

3. Allow teachers to submit student work for comment and assessment. Our
staff will give each project a grade, check for plagiarism, and provide a
report for each child to share with parents about the technology skill level
of that student. We can even help your teachers design assignments and
assessments so they are free to lecture.

Just think of the advantages:
- No musty books from the 1950ıs cluttering your library shelves, driving up
your insurance rates. No more lost or missing books. No gum under library
desks.
- No library facilities. Turn that old library space into those badly needed
special education classrooms.
- No annoying librarians who want more money for materials, support staff,
and staff development (or a living wage and health insurance). Our
highly-skilled Indian workers are delighted with their $5 per hour jobs!
- Your entire library program can be maintained by a single, semi-competent
technician in your district.
- You can justify your districtıs expensive, unpopular 1:1 computer/student
initiative.
- No ugly book ³challenges² since all materials have been ³tailored² to your
parentsı religious views.

Please read the attached study (scientifically-based research conducted by
FWLCıs very own research department) that empirically demonstrates that the
FWLC product can dramatically improve student performance where it counts -
on high stakes tests. (FWLC has been approved by the DOE for Title II, III,
IV, and IX funding ­ unlike traditional library materials and librarians.)

AND take advantage of our offer by December 31, and we will throw in
absolutely free, 50 of MITıs $100 laptops for families in your district that
qualify for FRP meals! Act today!

Coming soon ­ special pricing for regional and state-wide purchases.

Sincerely,

Bob Screwtape,
President and CEO
Flat World Library Corporation
300 Gates Drive
Redmond WA
1-800-NO-BOOKS

Will you, as a librarian, be prepared when this letter appears in YOUR
superintendentıs mailbox in the next couple years? Have you read Friedmanıs
The World is Flat?

If you have comments, please leave them on my blog at:
<http://dougj.edublogs.org/> (The Blue Skunk Blog)

(Oh, and please donıt kill the messenger!)

Doug

Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
Mankato Area Public Schools
Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
Mankato MN 56001-8714
Phone: 507-387-7698 x 473
E-mail: dougj@doug-johnson.com
Web: www.doug-johnson.com
The Blue Skunk Blog: http://dougj.edublogs.org/

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that is has
to be us. Jerry Garcia