Tangled threads
Pegi Deitz Shea
From Booklist
Gr. 6-8. Thirteen-year-old Laotian Mai Yang and her grandmother have survived
the war that killed Mai's parents and 10 years in a Thai camp for Hmong
refugees, so Mai is excited when immigration to the U.S. appears imminent. They
fly to Providence, R.I., to join a family who emigrated five years earlier.
Excited and confused by her experiences with American culture, Mai worries
about her cousin Heather who challenges her father's authority. With the help
of a compassionate teacher and sympathetic new friends, Mai becomes comfortable
with American ways even as her grandmother isolates herself and fears
assimilation. As seen through Mai's eyes, the wry observations of American
habits are amusing and insightful. Her explanations of Hmong culture fit so
naturally into the narrative, most readers will not need the appended glossary
and information. Respectful and dutiful, yet resilient and independent, Mai
wrestles with peer pressure and family expectations in a story that will
resonate with immigrant students and enlighten others. Linda Perkins
Copyright © American Library Association.

Mary Hendon
Librarian
Bunker Middle School
2312 Denmark