Hello all!
Thank you for some great ideas.  Just knew I'd asked in the right place ...
Cheers,
Trish
Trish Wade
Teacher-Librarian
Eatons Hill State School
Marylin Terrace
Eatons Hill
Queensland AUSTRALIA
http://www.eatohillss.eq.edu.au
W: twade12@eq.edu.au
H: dtwade@optusnet.com.au
Ph 3264 9222
Fax 3264 9000

Some of our libraries use: Birthday Club Or Adopt-A-Book
Laurie

Birthday Book Club
Josephine

Is 'Give a Gift of Happy Reading' too clumsy or boring? Maybe just 'Happy
Reading!'
Kerry

I referred to our gift books as the STARS Collection. STARS is the mascot
for the school. I put a gold star on the spine so it would show up in the
collection. Folks who are sensitive about adoption issues were glad I had
not called it Adopt a Book or some such.
Kate

My former school had a program called Proud Sponsors, which encouraged not
only book donations for birthdays, but also just in general.  A person could
sponsor a book for ½ of the price, with the other half picked up by the PTA
or the school's foundation program.
Susan

We call it the Remember Me program.
Ellen

We call ours Book Boosters.
Betty

My district uses the term "Library Legacy" for all donations in honor of
birthdays, graduations, etc.  Maybe this will work for you too.
Linda

I call my program the "Wishing WEL"  The WEL is not spelled wrong, but an
acronym for Wausau East Library.
Beth

Don't have a name for it but have seen it done in a small school where the
child presented the book to the 'Library person' on assembly. Just thinking
- Hobbits give gifts on their birthdays.  Maybe Bilbo Baggins could be
honoured by the programme title?
Julie

Our school runs a "birthday book program". It is run by 2 mothers. Each
student receives a letter for their birthday, wishing them a happy day and
an invitation to make a donation to the library. A form is enclosed - they
select the amount of money they wish to donate and then give 1st, 2nd and
3rd preferences for what they would like the book to be e.g fiction, picture
book, non fiction e.g science etc or other - often they will write a
favourite author or craft or horses etc. I usually try to match their
choices with books I have already purchased and are currently being
processed - that way books I want for the library are being paid for. Any
child who donates is presented with the book at assembly, with a name plate
inside - they are first child allowed to borrow their book(s).  They are
wished a happy birthday in front of the assembly and we give them a hippip
hooray. They also get a mention in the school newsletter. This scheme is
highly successful in junior school - runs slightly differently in high
school - although student nos are double in the high school - we only get a
quarter of the revenue.
Henny

Ours is the Celebration Book Club.
Lynne

I helped to set up a program like that in my son's school and we called it
'Leave a Library Legacy'.  The kids enjoyed checking out books that they or
their older brothers or sisters had donated in previous years.
Kathy

How about 'Lasting Legacy'?
Sharon

We call it "Adopt-A-Book" and use a baby theme.  We fill a pram with new
books that want to "Join the Library Family" and put a poster nearby
explaining how the book adoption can be done, a sample of a dedication
bookplate, and a picture of a gigantic stork carrying a book in a baby
blanket.  I know this is a little hokey...but I work in an elementary
school.  Good luck with your program!
Michele

A tricky one! Bookdon, Bookacy, Litrophy, Bookgiver, Library Friend, Book
Supporter, Library endowment, Book Bequest???
Marg

"Thinking of You" - Donate a book and be remembered in the library as well
as in our hearts. "Thanks for the memories" at Eatons Hill - Donate a book
and let the library help you commemorate significant occasions. Live in the
Library! - Donate a book to commemorate your significant occasions and those
occasions and the people who share them are renewed everytime the book is
opened.
Betty

What about - Add a book to our "Bookcase"? Or Make your own Bookmark?
Kristine