Casey Suddarth put me on to this website;  the initial chart is excellent
for determining which type of resource to use, but the information timeline
below has even more information - very relevant to this topic.
http://www.lib.duke.edu/libguide/select_table.htm

As an event develops, information about it is being generated and
disseminated.  The first reports will show up on the Web, on TV, and on the
radio Those first reports focus on getting the quick facts of who, what and
where. As time passes, information filters through different types of
resources. The level of coverage increases and becomes much more detailed
and analytical. The timetable below outlines this process:

Harry Willems, consultant
Southeast Kansas Library System

I know I'm late here but just thought I'd send this link that helped me
with an understanding of print vs. electronic so that I could better help
students.  It basically chronicles the evolution of information and
explains about the type, the author, and the audience.  Well, see for yourself.

http://www.lib.duke.edu/libguide/select_table.htm

Casey Suddarth
Librarian
Beville Middle School
Woodbridge, Virginia

Harry Willems, Consultant Asst. Dir.            620.365.5136
Southeast Kansas Library System         620.365.5137 (fax)
Iola, KS  66749                         hwillems@sekls.org

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.