Hi everyone.  I have a little extra money, and I want to order signage for the
library.  For example, in the nonfiction and fiction, we have no signs at all, and
it is not very user friendly for the students or teachers.

I would like to do at least three types of signs:

On the end caps of tall shelves, I would like a fairly large type of sign (anywhere
from 8" to 12" square) that would allow designation of category at the top and then
two subsequent lines with the numbers and an arrow pointing to the corresponding
side, such as:

 800 Literature
  <--800--829
    830-899-->

This would be really helpful on the end caps of shelves across the library because
it enables students and teachers to see what is where and head off in the right
direction on their own, and it would let us point to the area they need and direct
them to the signs.

Then, on the individual stacks, I would like to have some Dewey Classification
signs as sign posts.  I was thinking of the 1½" x 12" to designate the exact place
where the new category begins, or in fiction where the new letter of the
alphabetized last names begin.

Finally, I would like somehow to designate specific shelves in order to help
students navigate the aisles in both fiction, nonfiction, reference, and biography.

I don't want to over do the signs because I think that would be counter-productive.
 Too many signs, too busy, too distracting.  I want to hit as close to that magic
balance as I can.

If you have navigated this path already and have some tips for me on what type of
signs you really recommend, which ones you would not use, places that most need
signs, etc., and your opinion of how much signage is appropriate, I would be
eternally grateful and of course, forever in your debt!

Thanks for any help.

Vicki Nelson :-)
OHS Library
Odessa, Texas