Based on recommendations from LM_NETers and availability I decided to go
with the Treo 650 by Palm.  The i700 Pocket PC was also recommended and
there were a few other models I researched that looked promising but
none of them were available from my service provider.  My wife and I
have been with Cingular since before it was Cingular and we get a very
good rate.  It would cost us at least $15/month more to switch services.
  The only other smart phone with a qwerty keyboard offered by Cingular
is a Blackberry which is wider and doesn't have a camera.

I got the phone yesterday and so far I like it a lot.  It has a nice
screen and a decent camera.  It is a little bulkier than I would prefer
but I can live with it.  I don't think it could get much smaller and
still do what I want.  The organizer/calendar is great and I am busily
adding all the meetings, conferences, soccer games, dance recitals, and
doctor's appointments from my datebook, old phone, school and home
calendars.  I already feel more organized but my desk is still a mess
;-)  I haven't added the wireless data service to my plan yet.  I want
to work with the device for a few weeks and see how I will be using it.
  I also need to let the sticker-shock ($399 on sale!) subside a little.
  The only feature I wanted that is missing wi-fi compatibility.
----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/library/index.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury