Thank you librarians for all your help.  I was asked to post a hit.  I was
surprised, no one mentioned security being a problem

Original e-mail:

Is there a school library that is completely wireless?  If so, Please tell
me your experiences---good and bad comments.

Martha Oldham, Librarian
Lawrence High School
Lawrence, Kansas 66046
http://library.lhs.usd497.org

.

Replies from Librarians:

Good...
Laptops can be moved from place to place in the library to accommodate
needs.
Bad...
You cannot ever hook up to a network outside the school network or you will
corrupt the internet at school.

----------

Our whole system (48 schools) is wireless, including the libraries.  We do
still have regular land wires in the schools if you want to plug in, and
most of the research areas and library computers are all plugged in for
speed and reliability.  Our buildings all have wireless capabilities.
However, we have mobile wireless labs in all schools, and each teacher has a
laptop with wireless connections.   I LOVE it.  I have to travel from school
to school in my supervisory position and this allows me to get onto our
system network or the internet anywhere within the system without plugging
into a wall.  It's like carrying my desk around with me. It's a little
slower than plugging in but not too much.

-----------

My library is wireless.  All of our students have laptops.  It's very nice,
but doesn't eliminate the need for electrical power for those kids who
forget to charge their batteries!  I still have lots of power strips all
over the place.

---------

It works great, students and teachers  bring in their laptops, and have
access, no more "there's not enough"  plus we can set up the mobile lab
instead of taking up to the classroom and setting up (which takes time)  we
can actually have an additional lab and put away at the end of the day.

So far I have had no problems.

---------

I am the SLMS in a pre-k--8 schools. I have about 1100 students and we are
totally wireless in our building.  I have 25 wireless laptops (Dells) in my
LMC and each floor of the building has its own cart for use in classrooms.
We have dismantled our lab. I love the flexibility the laptops afford.  I
operate in a too-small space---600 sq, ft--and if not for the wireless
laptops, access to information would seriously suffer. I am able to buy many
electronic reference materials that I would otherwise not have room for.
This gives me space for a rich variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
This is especially critical in my school because our huge ESL population
makes acquisition of appropriate materials in all their reading levels and
interest levels a real challenge. I need space to accommodate that and not
having to deal with clunky, permanently installed desktop computers is a
godsend.

We have two access points in that relatively small space. Connectivity is
never an issue. The option to use computers is always there, but if not
chosen, they are out of the way and the space is free for other things. I
can conduct read-aloud programs and music programs and storytelling contests
etc., in our space because I don't have to maneuver around fixed stations.

If you are considering going wireless with laptops in your LMC, I heartily
recommend it provided that access points and bandwidth are more than
adequate.

----------

We have two wireless networks in the library, one for our freshmen who all
have been given their own laptops and one for the library machines.  We also
have several desktops that are wired into the network.  The only problem we
have had is some missing keys.

---------

Does almost completely count? Let me tell you about our library --

We have 40 computers available for student use, 32 of which are wireless
laptops. I have two wireless access points in the library so the entire
space
is well covered for connectivity. I have two printers located in my office
that
kids can print to.

I absolutely love it -- It has allowed me to use the space that I have to
its
fullest advantage. I'm in a very small facility compared to the number of
students in our school. Having laptops means that I can have a whole class
using computers and not have to worry about space for desktops.

Our IT department has been amazing in their ability to support these
laptops.
We have 12 carts of 32 computers each throughout our high school, plus carts
in
all the elementary and middle schools. The entire district is wireless. How
our
guys do it is beyond me, but we hum along pretty fast most of the time.

If you have other specific questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully this has
given you an idea ...

-----------

Yes- It's great. I had some problems at first. I put up too many routers and
the signals fought with one another, so they had a problem reading the
network. But they are great for special projects. I have my laptops in two
carts of 20 to check out to classroom but we can also use them for special
research and teaching in the library. I just set them up on the regular
library tables. I have to run surge protectors with long cords to plug them
in but other then that, they are pretty simple to use. Let me know if you
have any specific questions. Ruth

-----------

We have been a wireless library for almost 6 years and it is so problem free
that there is really nothing else I could say.  The pluses include 24 hour
student access from anywhere on campus or in the world.  It has been a great
decision for us.

------------

We are not completely wireless, but we do have a cart of laptops for use
in the library since we don't have enough computer stations to
accommodate all the students who want computers at the same time.  My
experience is mixed.  I prefer the hard-wired computers because they
give us much less trouble.  The kids prefer the laptops because they can
sit anywhere in the library to use them.  We have connectivity trouble
much of the time even after we hard-wired a hub (or whatever they are
called that pick up the wireless signal and send it to the network.) We
also have issues with students not putting the laptops back properly in
the cart, not plugging them back in to recharge, etc.  Given my
"druthers", I'd "ruther" have enough hard-wired computers for everyone,
and send the laptops to classrooms for student use there (which is what
we do with the other three carts we have!)

---------

Funny you should ask this...while my school is not... the following is about
a school that is totally WIFI.

        Check out the Connecticut Educators Computer Association Web page
and their Fall Conference coming up in 11 days.  http://www.ceca-ct.org/

         The fall conference is actually (for the first time ever) being
held at  the Thomas Edison Magnet Middle School, Meriden,
CT.(http://www.ceca-ct.org/2005Conference/2005conf.html).   The THEME is
appropriate:  Classroom of My Dreams.

           "
* WiFi everywhere - bring a laptop to take notes electronically, check your
e-mail anytime, check the products displayed by our vendors, and instantly
view the web sites recommended by our presenters."

            If you could take a PROFESSIONAL DAY this would be great!

-----------

I guess you could say that we are wireless.  We have 4 "regular" computers
and a wireless lab with 20 laptops.  They can be taken to teacher's rooms or
they can use them in here if they need the space or books.  The bad thing is
that the batteries don't seem to last very long and have to be recharged
after about 45 minutes.  We usually just plug them all in to a power strip
so that we don't have to worry.

------------

I am at a school that just opened and we plan to be wireless, but at
this point, the technology expert is still wiring the rest of the
school.  I plan to go wireless with the 36 computers by December.  We
have the computers, we have the server and we have the enthusiasm, but
ignorance is also part of what we have. So if you get any tips, remarks
or general advice, I would really appreciate it as we go out into this
next dimension.

-----------

Our media center is not completely wireless but we do have wireless.
Unfortunately, our router is not encypted and it was used to hack into our
grade server.  Anyone who has a computer with Centrino technology can get on
making the server a lot slower than it should be.  We have problems with our
automatic updates and firewalls on the wireless machines.

-----------

Our entire school has been  wireless for 2 years.  We've never had
any problems in the library.

----------

My elementary School Media Center is partially wireless, we currently
own 13 computers and 6 laptops.  So now I can have an entire class work
with computers for a lesson.  The Dell laptops are stored in a laptop
cart where they are plugged into chargers daily.  The laptops receive
their wi-fi signal from a router installed in their cart.  So the
laptops can not receive internet signal more then 20-49 feet away from
the cart unless we own a stronger router or more then one.  This poses
some problems in my building, as a result of the building being over 80
years old we do not have an elevator and the cart is housed in out
basement library.
So far I have only used them with grades 4 and 5.
I love having the laptops but I have run into the additional problems.
1) The students are not allowed to handle them as a result of them being
school equipment.  So they need to be up and running on the library
tables before the students get there, I have a block schedule and this
is not always done in time.
2)Each student is required to have a log in for computer use and with so
many coming and going I just sign myself into the computers
3) The laptops have a battery saver and go into hibernation after a set
time, because of the short time many times I have set up for a lesson,
gotten the students in, introduced the lesson and when sending the
students to the lap tops they think the laptops need to be turned on and
actually turn them off.  So then they need to wait for to reboot and
sign in again.  This takes probably 3-8 min.
4) Because I have younger students they have a harder time using the
touch pad, I am debating if I should get mice or not.  Just one more
thing to keep track of and set up.

This is our first year with the lap tops and I hope to get things
running more smoothly, and the school is looking into ways for the
laptops to be more accessible by the rest of the school for classroom
use (We plan to have teacher sign the cart out for this).  I hope that I
have helped you and not discouraged you.  Feel free to contact me if you
want any additional info.

----------

We were completely wireless, but it did not work out.  On humid days the

wireless connection would fade in and out.  Putting too many computers on

our wireless system would make it run really slow or not at all.  We

gradually began wiring all the computers, taking a load off of those that

remained wireless.  We are now half-wired and half not.  This seems to work

just fine.

----------

This would require a phone call.

Anytime - 281-576-2221 x 5315

-----------

I am in a 7-12 building and we have 40 wireless laptops.  We have a 16
station cart and a 24 station cart.  I love the flexibility of my room and
being able to put classes that come in any number of configurations in my
room.  We have had very good luck with the laptops and very little damage
has been done to them.  The drawback of wireless laptops is monitoring.  I
do have monitoring software so I spend a lot of time watching screens during
tutorial time and when study hall students come to the library.  I do make
them tell me what they need to use laptops for and put it in writing in a
sign-out book.  When classes come in I usually have very little trouble with
them not being on task.  Hope this helps.

----------

We have laptops, but we also have the desktop version. This year our
desktops are wireless, also, because of some remodeling that we are going
through. I have noticed that connection time is sometimes slower. Heavy rain
days tends to stop all wireless activity. Other than that, we have not had
any major problems.

---------

As I type, I'm monitoring a group of 10th graders who are pecking away at
their wireless laptops.  Our entire school is wireless with the 7-11 graders
having laptops.  Luckily, this library happens to have lots of accessible
power, and they plug in all day everywhere.  I've bought a few power strips
to extend power from hidden plugs.  And we've moved the furniture a bit to
be near plugs, but lots of time they sprawl on the carpet.

The current class of 10th graders has had their machines since they were 7th
graders.  Their teacher is absent today for the Jewish holiday and I've
taken his classes who are to create a powerpoint about some aspect of the
topic "slavery."  They've had the assignment for a few days, but today is
their first day working with their partners and deciding what they will
research and what to show in their presentation  They received PowerPoint
instruction in 7th grade, so this project is routine.  They will give
in-class presentations on Monday-Wednesday.

In class today,  I provided a cart of print materials, since some of them
may be looking for topics.  And sometimes the Internet access is slow, so
having print materials keeps them busy.  I spent about 10 minutes reviewing
the list of databases and websites on my library web page and recommending
which ones would be the best for this project.  My library web page at:
http://spartans.spa.edu/mtabar/randolph_lib/Libraryhomepage.htm

 includes informational sites and sources of sound and images.  I reminded
them about citing their sources for information and images.  I told them
Google, Yahoo, Teoma, etc is the last place they should be - only after they
have done background searches so they are good evaluators of the info. they
find on Google.  They are busy students with sports, drama, etc, so why
waste time sorting through all Google offers until they have the knowledge
to sort well.

Laptops in our library are no problem, other than when a few kids decide to
play a game and it gets noisy when they win or lose.  I don't mind games as
long as they don't bother others nearby who are studying.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

---------

Our whole school is wireless. We've been operating a wireless laptop school
for about four years now & generally love it. I'm the upper school
librarian, which means that I deal with children in grades 5 - 12. Our
library webpage is the school library in lots of ways. Our catalogs are
accessible throughout the campus.Much of our experience may not transfer for
you. We are a private girls' school with an enrollment of about 525, K - 12.
Thus, we have a lot of control over the skills training of the elementary
students that feed to our upper school. Our 2nd graders are proficient
keyboarders for instance and know how to produce a PowerPoint presentation.

The good side is that our students have Tech. skills way beyond the norm.
The laptops are not gimmicks, they're necessary tools for their studies. Our
library spends as much or more on subscription databases than we do on
hardcopy materials. Our hard copy periodical collection is minimal. The
biggest shift in the nature of our collection is probably in periodicals and
reference. I just can't justify more than one hard copy encyclopedia set
anymore. I subscribe to two more online.

The down side is that we're dependent on our IT people. If we lose the
internet or worse, if we lose our intranet, we're pretty helpless. We do
have fiber optics back-up if our wireless goes, but when servers fail we're
in deep trouble - sort of like suffering a power outage in a traditional
setting. No lights & no air conditioning caused the same kind of havoc. We
do notice some problems when too many laptops try to use the same airport
(wireless base stations for the Mac). Also, it becomes frustrating when the
city all decides to get on the net at the same time. We watch everything
slow to a crawl. However, those, with the occasional loss of a base station
just when a teacher needed to have the whole class on line, are fairly rare
occurrences.
The article I wrote in 2003 with our IT head at the time is still available
online at:  http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA266438.html

-----------

I am a public high school librarian.  My school
services approximately 600 9-12 graders.  My library
is very small therefore we made the decision to go
completely wireless.  I have a cart of 25 laptops.
Students come into the library and let me know there
need, books or computer.  When they sign in at the
circulation desk they record what their need is.  If
they need a computer, I give them a laptop and they
record the number next to their name.  When they are
finished they return the laptop to the desk.  I know
if they returned their laptop by the number by their
name.  The laptops are not connected to the printer.
If they have something they want to print they save it
to the network drive that shows on my computer at the
circulation desk.  They simply come to the desk and
let me know they have a paper saved in the student
drive on the network.  I pull up their paper and
print.  This allows me to control what is being
printed and the number of copies.  This system has
worked extremely well for us with no problems.

My technology facilitator has ordered 3 additional
laptop carts which are stationed in three locations
throughout our building therefore classroom teachers
can sign the carts out to use in their classrooms.
The carts come with a printer and LCD projector.  The
carts are never kept in the teachers classroom.  They
are returned at the end of each school day.

Martha Oldham, Librarian
Lawrence High School,
Lawrence, Kansas 66046
Library Page:  http://library.lhs.usd497.org