I was asked to post MLA's response to me on  how to cite a retold book. It makes
sense to me to do it this way.  Hope it helps.

Vicki Nelson
OHS Librarian
Odessa, Texas
nelsonvl@ector-county.k12.tx.us

Dear Ms. Nelson:

The answer would depend on what is meant by "retold."  If retelling means
that the second author rewrote the  book entirely in his or her own words,
the entry in the works-cited list would probably not mention the first
author (because the second author is, in a bibliographic sense, the author
of the book and the first author's work is merely a source for that book).
But the student may want to mention the first author in the body of the
text, so that the nature of the source is clear.

For example, suppose that Jack Johnson, a soldier in the Civil War,
published a memoir of his experience in the war.  Then Mary Morrison, a
novelist, retold his memoir in the form of a novel.  The entry in the
works-cited list might look like this (I've used the underline symbol here
to indicate the start and end of underlining):

     Morrison, Mary. _Title of Novel_. New York: Publisher, 1995.

In the text of the paper, the student might want to say something like
this:

     According to Mary Morrison's fictional retelling of the memoirs
     of Jack Johnson, a soldier in the Civil War, "[quotation]" (57-58).

Please let me know if this reply doesn't answer your question.

Sincerely yours,

Eric Wirth
Assistant Editor
Modern Language Association