I posted a TARGET several days before Hurricane Rita hit the Gulf Coast,
asking for good reads for someone who was battening down and expecting
to be without power for several days. I got, as you might expect from
this group, a fantasic response! I have tried to compile the
suggestions, and apologise if I overlooked any...I was migrating from
one computer to another for several days. I also tried to thank everyone
personally, but if I missed you, please do accept my thanks for sharing.
This is a great list. I will post it to my web site at first
opportunity, but for now wanted to go ahead and get it out to you. I
also want to share one very new book that I listened to on tape when I
ended up migrating with the hordes who headed out of the Houston area.
That is The Big Over Easy by Fforde. Some of you may recognize the
author as the person who writes about the Classic Crime Division. THIS
is the first in a new series about the Nursery Crimes Division. The
murder victim is Humpty Dumpty. Of course his death looks like a fall,
but.... This book had me laughing out loud as I crept down the road with
my dog and cat, windows down, bumper to bumper. No doubt my fellow
evacuees thought I had gone right over the edge. By the way, Humpty's
neighbor is William Winkle, who suffers from a sleep disorder. Anyway,
get this book! And here is the list...so many books, so little time!
Thanks again to all, Mary Ann

AUTHOR  TITLE
?       Fake ID, a YA mystery
Albert, Susan Wittig    Dead Man's Bones and also books about the life of
Beatrix Potter including Tale of Hilltop Farm
Baldacci        any
Barbara Hambly  Benjamin January books, historical, about a free man of
color
Barnes, Linda   any
Barr, Nevada    any
Barron, Stephanie       Jane Austin mysteries,
Brandeis, Gayle         The Book of Dead Birds
Clark, Mary Higgins     any
Cleverly, Barbara       The Last Kashmiri Rose
Conant, Susan   any
Connelly, Michael       any
Corban, Harlan  any
Cornwell, Patricia      any
Crombie, Deborah        any
Dams, Jeanne    Hilda Jonassen series
David, Peter    Knight's Tale and others, fun with different locales
Delaney, Frank  Ireland
DeMille, Nelson         The Charm School and others
Emerson, Earl   Vertical Burn--several years ago tells situation similar
to 911
Evanovich, Janet        Stephanie Plum books and others also
Fford   Eyre Affair
Flynn, Vince    political, action/thrillers
Fowler, Earline         any
Frazer, Margaret        Sister Frevisse mysteries
Gallenkemp      Dragon Hunter, dinosaur hunting, 1920's, Gobi desert
George, Anne    Southern Sisters Mysteries
George, Elizabeth       Detective Lynley
Grafton, Sue    Alphabet mysteries
Grisham, John   any
Harris, Charlaine       any
Harris, Lee     About a former nun...all centered around holidays
Hart, Carolyn   Letter From Home
Hawks, John Twelve      The Traveler
Isles, Greg     Any
Jance, JA       Long Time Gone
Kellerman, Faye         any
King, Laurie    Beekeeper's Apprentice and others in series
Kostova         The Historian, a different take on Dracula story
Larsen, Erik    Devil in the White City
LeHaye  Left Behind series
Leon, Donna     any
Letts, Bonnie   Shoot the Moon
Lippman, Laura  any
Martini, Steve  any
Minichino, Camille      Mysteries working through the Periodic Table...
Muller, Marcia  any
Murphey, Shirley Rosseau        Joe Gray mysteries---always have a twist
Oates, Joyce Carol Ed.  Best American Essays of the Century
Paretsky, Sara  any
Perry, Ann      Shoulder in the Sky and others
Peters, Elizabeth       Amelia Peabody mysteries, Crocodile on the Sandbank
and more
Piccoult        My Sister's Keeper
Riordan, Rick   San Antonio author, mysteries
Rivers, Francine        Redeeming Love
Robb, JD        Death Series
Runyan  Burn Journals
Russell, Mary Doria     The Sparrow and Children of God...sci fi with
theological and philosophical insights
Saul, John      Perfect Nightmare
Smith, Alexander McCall         any
Smith, Deborah  A Place to Call Home
Squire, Elizabeth Daniels       Peaches Dann series
Stabenow, Dana  Kate Shugak books
Winspear        Maisie Dobbs, takes place in 1920's
Zafon, Carlos   Shadow of the Wind
        DaVinci Code
        Kite Runner
        Tom Brown's Field Guide to Urban Survival
        Middlesex
        Airborn, YA book
        Shutter Island
        Gregor the Overlander (yes for kids but really a fun read)

--
"Try curiosity!"  Dorothy Parker