Hi everyone,

Eleven years ago today on the EDTECH and LM_NET lists, I launched my
first website, EdWeb: Exploring Technology and School Reform
(www.edwebproject.org). The site was the result of a post-graduate
fellowship from Northwestern University's Annenberg-Washington Program.
I'd spent the summer of 1994 working at the Corporation for Public
Broadcasting researching the impact on telecommunications reform on K-12
education. Because I was just a lowly grad student, they weren't willing
to publish my findings in an official capacity, so instead I learned
HTML, set up a Web server on my old Mac Classic, and launched EdWeb
myself. It was one of the very first websites examining the role of the
Web in education, and it propelled me into the work on the digital
divide that I'm doing 11 years later.

Meanwhile, as part of EdWeb, I set up a personal homepage for myself
called Andy Carvin's Waste of Bandwidth As you can see from this
archival copy of my homepage from around eight years ago, the page was
organized with my latest news updates at the top, with older information
further down the page.

http://web.archive.org/web/19970620115056/http://edweb.cnidr.org/andy.html

Over time, I eventually stopped coding the page by hand and switched to
various blogger tools, including Blogger and Movable Type.

Today, of course, Andy Carvin's Waste of Bandwidth - still a part of
EdWeb but with its own domain name, www.andycarvin.com - is my primary
way of saying whatever it is I want to say online. So in a way, I'm able
to celebrate the 11th anniversary of my blog today. Perhaps not a blog
in function that whole time, but certainly a blog in spirit. (grin) -andy

--
Andy Carvin