Netters,

In August I posted an inquiry about what to do with a "Jane Austen Action Figure" -
and several people shared ideas with me (see original post after ***** below), as
well as several offers to buy her. Jane has decided to remain at home in lovely
Garden Grove, California, but the rest of you Austen fans out there may be
interested in several of the following posts. I got a heads-up on an Austen fans
website, and a trailer for a new version of Pride and Prejudice, opening in
November (see below for links), along with ideas on utilizing Jane at my K-6
library. My thanks to all of the responders! I will display Jane in November and
see what happens. . . Donna Cook's idea (below) looks like a great one for middle
schools and high schools You could use any literature related figurine.
-Joanne Ladewig

Have you every visited the Republic of Pemberley? If not, you should check it out
and maybe try your question there.
www.permberley.com
It is great! -Sara Mackey
(Note: For die-hard Austen fans only!)

So this response isn't going to help at all, but I think that is awesome.  I wish I
had a Jane Austen action figure!  I think you're lucky, and should put it on your
desk for a giggle every now and then.   And maybe you will inspire your kids to
read a little Austen when they are older--I successfully showed the A&E miniseries
"Pride and Prejudice" to several fifth grade girls and hope they will remember that
when they're (hopefully) reading it in high school.- Becky Gorek

Oh, that looks like a fun idea. Even though most of your girls are too young to
read Pride and Prejudice, some of them will see the upcoming movie and maybe some
of the advanced readers will read the book. Here is the trailer for the movie:
http://www.prideandprejudicemovie.net/home.html
It looks like it will be very good. -Jan Davies

Joanne, once I saw a Power Point program in which peeps (those sugary yellow
chicks) demonstrated library procedures for college students.  Use Jane in such a
Power Point for your students. Of course they can't read Jane Austin novels yet,
but they'll be learning her name, and they'll make the connection someday.  Jane
could check out books; she could return her books; she could read quietly at a
table; etc.  This may not make any sense at all to you.  Maybe you could find the
peeps Power Point if you did a search in the LM_NET archives. I've been thinking
about using my Nancy Pearl figure for a library lesson for my high school students.
 Your posting was terrifically punny! - Donna Cook

I wouldn't put her away.  I have a "toy" collection in my office that just
fascinates the children.  I have either taken them, they have been left in
my library or I have gotten them from other teachers when they gave out
prizes to the children.  Take this as an opportunity to just talk to the
kids and let them get to know this other facet of your personality.  They
enjoy looking at my stuff which includes a jack in the beanstalk nesting
doll set, little cars, erasers, a myriad of stuff. - Ruth Homer, Librarian

Joanne, loved your post, but have no advice about your Jane Austen action
figure, other than passing her on to perhaps an English teacher or secondary
librarian. I just finished reading The Jane Austen Book Club, and it was a
wonderful read. I'd give you the author, but I can't remember, and my daughter has
already taken the book home. Bet you've already read it anyway! - Barb S.

Who cares if they are sophisticated enough for Austen?  Display her anyway.
She'll be a conversation piece at best, and at worst a reminder of your
sweet husband.  :)  - Miranda Ball

You are so-o-o funny!  I want you to know, Joanne that I will always read your
posts! Heck, take her to school and one of your books, set her on top of it and
when the kids ask tell them about the great books they'll read in middle school and
high school and how this is a very favorite book of yours.  You know they'll eat
that up the their Library Lady has a favorite book. - Pam Berberich

Original post (Aug. 16, 2005):
Friends,

After reading the post about the new Nancy Pearl action figure, I thought perhaps
some of you might come up with an answer to this quandary - what does one do with a
"Jane Austen Action figure?"  ("Complete with writing desk & quill pen!") My
husband insisted on buying her for me when he spotted her at (of all places!) a
bakery in Solvang, California. I tried to discourage him, but his powers of
Persuasion were greater than mine.

Yes, I'll admit it, I'm an Austen fan, but I work at a K - 6 library - I doubt that
any of our 6th grade girls are sophisticated enough for Austen, so I wouldn't have
much reason to display her there. If any of you have some Sense and Sensibility and
will share your ideas, perhaps I can get over my Pride and Prejudice about the
silliness of this purchase. Otherwise, I fear Jane will end up stored away in the
Northanger Abby attic. Please help if you can, I feel my Emma-gination going
nowhere (other than perhaps to Mansfield Park!).

Dutifully yours,

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (a.k.a. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary School, GGUSD
Garden Grove, CA USA
shatz@verizon.net

---Comments are my own and may not reflect the views of GGUSD.