Some of us here in Ohio have been fortunate to be a part of the Institute for
Information Literacy Education (ILILE) through Kent State University.  It
provided a workshop format for a librarian to work with 1 or 2 teacher
colleagues to create a unit of instruction.

What a great learning experience it was!  My district participated in 2004 and
that teacher and I are still continuing to build units together.  Currently we
are doing one on inventors and are beginning to plan a future unit on research
skills and note taking.

The success we have had has inspired other staffers from the middle school to
seek input when planning, but not all buy into the idea.  Ironically, the
newest teachers are less likely to accept the idea of collaboration than are
the veterans.  However, the 5th grade teacher who participated in ILILE with me
isn't unhappy.  She feels that gives me more time to work with her:)

Judy Brown
K-12 librarian
Caldwell Schools
Caldwell, OH 43724