Our public school library has been asked if the kids
from a Christian school across the street may come over to check out books
from our library.  I believe that private schools should develop their own
resources or use the public library, as we receive no state funding for
their students.  We have a very small budget and our resources are
stretched thin as it is, it sets a dangerous precedent as there are many
private schools in our area, etc.  I would have said no from the getgo,
however
my assistant, was the one who talked with the person
making the request and took it directly to the principal (I know - I need
to take care of that too!).  Though I presented the arguments above, the
principal
is saying that the Christian school folks are taxpayers too and she will
"look
into whether we can say no".
So - do any of you open your collections to private schools?  Do public
school
libraries have a responsiblity to open our collections to private schools?

Pat Youngman Smith MLS
Teacher/Librarian
South Whidbey Primary
Langley, Washington