Hi all---

I am a MAJOR supporter of the Battle of the Books program. I am also, now, on a
committee (well, kind of, we haven't met yet, but I am on the list to be on the
committee when we get to having a committee) to look into getting a state-wide BOB
program started.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who was/is on a statewide committee in what
it took to make it happen.  How did you deal with districts that were already doing
BOB, but had Widely differing opinions about how the format should look like?
What process do you use to select titles for the various grade levels?  How did you
select the number of titles to be on the list? (we currently have schools with 12
on the lists and others with over 50, but most are in the 16-30 range)  How did you
decide on the format ("In what books.."  or "Given the title/author, please name
the .... of the book")?  What did it cost, or will continue to cost to run this
program?

I know how I do it, very bare bones in cost and with books.  Also, I know that I
will be one of the ones that will have to change, since I do not do elimination
style contests, but top scorer for all of the games. AND, I do not do small teams,
but
fulll class vs class.  So, I know I will have to compromise on these points, and am
willing to do so at the time we go state wide.

For those who are interested in starting BOB, here is my handout on it.  Modify it
as you wish, it is just what works for me.
Book Bowl Competitions

Presenters:     Mardy S, retired teacher
JaKay Greer, Teacher-Librarian, Gresham-Barlow SD
                        [ mailto:Jakay_greer@gbsd.gresham.k12.or.us
]Jakay_greer@gbsd.gresham.k12.or.us

OVERVIEW:
        Benefits and Goals
What is a book bowl competition?
Selection of books
        Timeline
        Nitty-Gritty
        Sources
        Questions

Benefits and Goals
*To support students in their love, discovery and enjoyment by reading quality
literature.
*To promote shared knowledge of literature in which to have discussions about books.
*Students are reading for comprehension and details, not “skim” reading to get
through a book.
*To develop friendships between students based upon socialization and mutual
respect.
*To have fun in a competition setting.

What is Battle of the Books
A book bowl competition is a reading program where students read books off a
prescribed list. At the end of a period set for reading, there are team
competitions (like a High School or College Bowl) on questions based on the books.
All questions
are in the form of “In what book…” and require title and author as the answer.

Selection of books
An attempt is made to vary the titles chosen as to genre and difficulty, so that
readers may encounter a broad range of books.

Interest level: a variety of genre, settings, plots and writing styles
                        Balance of male and female protagonists
        Quality of books: Newbery Medal and Honor Awards, Young Readers Choice
                Award titles, Classics, and books that are high-quality and well
written.
        Availability of books: should consider book sets your school already owns
                Books that are printed in paperback (cost factor).
Also consider any reading programs that you can combine and use those books.
        Readability:
10-25% To support low level readers
40-60% To support core, average readers
15-30% To support above average readers

Timeline (That I use—can be modified)
*April/May:     Create selection of titles that meet section qualifications
*April/May:     Send selection of titles to involved teachers, get their input on
the selection
*May/June:      Create list
*May/Sept:      Obtain funding for books that you do not currently have
                Purchase books
*Summer:        Start reading and writing questions for the books OR if purchasing
questions, start reading the books to be familiar with all of the titles.
Sept:           Send out the reading list again to teachers
                Create bookmarker with titles and authors for students
                Create synopsis of each book for students’ referral
Oct/Nov:        Booktalk the titles to the students, start competition
Feb/Mar:        Set date for competitions
                Have questions for titles finished
Mar-May:        Competitions /Final competitions
                Celebration for finishing the Final Competitions

Sources for help:
Multnomah County Library [ http://www.multcolib.org/talk/guides.html
]http://www.multcolib.org/talk/guides.html
Has excellent guides and are easy to modify to your specific needs to create
worksheets and simple booktalks.

Mardy S writes questions for BOB---please contact me and I will forward to her if
you are interested in purchasing questions at $1/title.

Battle of the Books and More: Reading Activities for Middle School Studetns.
Sybilla Cook, Frances Corcoran & Beverley Fonnesbeck. Allyside Press, Wisconsin,
2001.  ISBN: 1579500471 $19.95.

Books, battles and bees. Sybilla Avery Cook and Cheryl A. Page. American Library
Association, Chicago, 1994.

America’s Battle of the Books.  [ http://www.battleofthebooks.org/
]http://www.battleofthebooks.org/ Purchase questions and use their set-up.

Young Readers Choice Awards. [ http://www.pnla.org/yrca/ ]http://www.pnla.org/yrca/
        (has 3 different levels of titles)

Wilma: Sasquatch Reading Awards. [ http://www.wlma.org/Association/sasquatch.htm
]http://www.wlma.org/Association/sasquatch.htm
        (especially if you are doing this with elementary students)

Newbery Awards [
http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/newberymedal/newberymedal.htm

]http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/newberymedal/newberymedal.htm

Nitty-Gritty
Writing Questions
Each title will need between 25-50 questions.
Begin each question with "In what book...".
Use correct grammar.
Make the question as simple as possible, using archaic and unique words only when
they are integral to the text.
Avoid obvious questions (but do include a few very easy questions)
Avoid using the character's name, or gender, e.g. "In what book does the main
character..."
Avoid questions with more that one title for an answer (Sometimes hard to do, so be
ready for a challenge if there is one or more titles for the question. This is
where reading the books comes in handy.)
Try to cover significant events, character development, major themes, unique
settings in time or place.
Please proofread your work for grammar and readability.
Type questions with the Title and author also on the card.

Supplies needed:
?       *Enough copies of books for each student to be reading.  I take the total
number of students and add 10. The total is the number of copies I have available.
Also, talk with teachers about which titles could also be classroom sets for future
use
in Literature Circles or for curriculum enhancement.  Purchase at minimum 1 book
per classroom in competition.
?       *3x5 Index Cards
?       *Timer
?       3 tag board markers per student in competition.  (for me, this is 2
classrooms at one time)
?       coin
?       Deck of questions.

Set-up for Battles:
        Divide room in half with chairs for each team.
        Have a white board or overhead to tally points.
        Have a table to place timer and used questions.
        Have a person keep the score for you.
        SMILE

What in the world is this going to cost me????????
?       Depends on number of students in competition.
?       Depends on how many sets of books you already own.
?       Depends on where you are getting the funding.
?       Depends on how many titles you will use in the competition.
?       My PTC/PTA/Boosters have always funded this program $350-500/year.

How many titles do I use in the competition?
I do 18-25 titles each year.  I am able to recycle titles every 3rd year.  I plan
on purchasing at least 5 new titles each year, with one set being a class set.

General Info:
Bookmarks:  Put them in Lexile/AR Reading level.  Helps when searching for a book
for lower end students or higher end students.

Have extra bookmarks for teachers to hand out at conferences for parent support.

Decide how many competitions you will be doing.  Divide questions into piles and
shuffle—GOOD!
Make sure that at least one question per title is in each pile.

Make sure the public library has a copy of your bookmark list.  Helps when they are
asked about the books.

Competition:
?       Students come in, pick up 3 markers, and take places.
?       Two students come up and select heads/tails.
?       Ask a question.
?       Students hold up marker to answer the title.  Right or wrong, it will cost
them one marker.
?       After the title, then the author is answered.  If the student does not know
the answer, they can say “pass” and someone else on the team can answer the
author’s FULL name. Does not cost a marker.
?       2 points for correct title, 1 point for correct author.
?       If the answer for the title is incorrect, repeat question to the other side
for a “FREE” chance of picking up the points.
?       Then continue going back and worth between the teams, until time.
?       Be ready for challenges, and how you want to handle this.  I have a student
stand up if they feel that a question has 2 answers and can justify that the answer
given was also correct.
?       Cheating: The side caught with a cheater, will lose 50 points, period.
Makes it not worth it. Cheating: handing a student one of your markers, having an
answer with you either written or the bookmark.
?       Students leave quietly and orderly afterwards.
?       No clapping, but may quietly give a thumbs up, or sign-language clap for
encouragement for either team.
?       Expectations are that EVERY student will answer at least one title/author.
Teachers take notes on the students that are NOT competing and talk quietly to them
about how they can help their team on the next battle.
?       Noise/rudeness costs the team one point.  After three points lost by same
offender, pull the student to their teacher.  All decision FINAL on this,
backtalking is immediate removal.

Other Style of questions:
You will need to decide if you would like to use this style or not. It is not my
choice of style, since there will be more challenges than the “In what book..”
style.  Also, decide on the amount of points to award.

Grace A. Dow Memorial Library
[ http://www.midland-mi.org/gracedowlibrary/Battle/sample.html
]http://www.midland-mi.org/gracedowlibrary/Battle/sample.html
The following are some examples of questions asked in written and oral battles. Not
all questions will fall into such precise categories.

1.      "Name of important character or significant nickname of a minor character"
Name the Battle of Books character who finally met his defeat on top of the
mountain known as Old Baldy.
2.      "Short answer - significant event or object"
In MATILDA what did Bruce Bogtrotter do that made the children say "Well done,
Brucie!…You've won a Gold medal"?
3.      "In what "book" questions"
In what book do you find a boy who was in love with the Brooklyn Dodgers and could
give you their games play by play?
4.      "Comparison with another book(s) on the list"
In THE CRICKET IN TIMES SQUARE, a fire almost destroyed the Bellini's newsstand. In
what other battle book did a fire destroy a shelter?
5.      "Give one out of two or more possibilities"
In the DARK IS RISING, when Old George told Will that they were going to raise the
Hunt, Will ended up taking two things to the Hunter. One was the white horse. What
was the other?
6.      "Quotation directly from the book"
Who said to Matilda "I'm afraid men are not always quite as clever as they think
they are. You will learn that when you get a bit older."?
7.      "Important setting or location"
What is the setting in New York City where most of the story of the CRICKET IN
TIMES SQUARE takes place?
8.      "Definition of unique terms or important words"
In one of the battle books, you learned that you can survive by eating
"carragheen". What is carragheen?
9.      "Why" questions
In JUMP SHIP TO FREEDOM, why did Daniel's father get the soldier's notes?
Example of a Worksheet that I create for completing WHILE reading the book.
 Mary, Bloody Mary                              Name:______________________