I just need to vent, so thanks in advance for letting me do that. In my new
position, I have replaced a librarian who apparently ran the school for many
years (was in charge of the entire building budget, etc. and a new principal
was trying to take it back from her, so she retired at the end of last
year). Since the librarian was running the school, the library assistant was
running the ilbrary. She doesn't see that I've adapted many of my ways of
doing things to keep things the same and she doesn't like some of the
changes I've made, most notably to remove items discarded and taken by
teachers to their classrooms from the database. She had always checked them
out to teachers on "permanent loan." I consulted with you, my LM_NET
colleagues (You may remember my message from about a month ago asking if any
of you handled "discarded to classroom" items in this way -- the resounding
response was NO!), the principal (who said it was okay to remove them), the
curriculum director who is in charge of libraries for the district (who
emphatically said to remove them), and some local colleagues.

We had come to an agreement on a compromise (although she now says she
doesn't remember agreeing to it) that we would change the status
to "______'s classroom," print out a list that she could keep, and then
delete them from the database. So I did that yesterday afternoon. Now she's
all in an uproar and went to tattle to the principal. So I'm expecting to be
called on the carpet any minute now. <sigh> Perhaps I should just tender my
resignation now and let the library assistant get back to running the
library....

Thanks again for letting me vent. It'll get better, I hope. :)

Julie

Julie Olson, Librarian
Eatonville High School
Eatonville, WA
julie@nickolson.net

Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the
fire. -- Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks.