Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for reference / databases / books
dealing with political parties in American History.  Here is a hit of the resources
that I received:

324.273 Fis
Fish, Bruce, and Becky Durost Fish, , jt. auth.
   The history of the Democratic Party /  Fish, Bruce, and Becky Durost
Fish, , jt. auth. -- Philadelphia, PA : Chelsea House Publishers, c2000.

Traces the origins of the Democratic Party, discussing key figures,
conventions, platforms, and its organization.

324.273 Kro
Kronenwetter, Michael.
   Political parties of the United States /  Kronenwetter, Michael. --
Springfield, NJ : Enslow Publishers, 1996.

Discusses the history, workings, importance, and powers of political parties
in the United States.

324.273 Lin
Lindop, Edmund.
   Political parties /  Lindop, Edmund. -- New York : Twenty-First Century
Books, 1996.

Provides a history of political parties in the United States, along with
insights about their inner workings and the role they play in the political
process.

324.273 Lut
Lutz, Norma Jean.
   The history of the Republican Party /  Lutz, Norma Jean. --
Philadelphia, PA : Chelsea House Publishers, c2000.

Traces the origins of the Republican Party, discussing key figures,
conventions, platforms, and its organization.

324.273 Lut
Lutz, Norma Jean.
   The history of third parties /  Lutz, Norma Jean. -- Philadelphia, PA :
Chelsea House Publishers, c2000.

Examines the participation of smaller political parties in America's
election process from the abolitionist Liberty Party to the campaigns of
Reform Party candidates Ross Perot and Jesse Ventura.

324.273 Mor
Morin, Isobel V.
   Politics, American style /  Morin, Isobel V. -- Brookfield, CT :
Twenty-First Century Books, c1999.

Examines the roles of the Republican, Democratic, and third parties within
America's government.

Take a look at http://www.politics1.com/parties.htm for information
about current parties. I didn't go down far enough to see whether the
Know Nothings are there, but remember that the Whigs became the present
Republicans.

-The Rise and Fall of the Whig Party : Jacksonian Politics and the Onset of
the Civil War- Michael Holt, Oxford University Press
-American Political Parties-Hugh LeBlanc, St. Martin's Press
-Politics American Style: Political Parties in American History-Isobel
Morin, Twenty-First Century Books
-New Alignments in American Politics- Carl Lose, H.W. Wilson
-American Political Parties, Their Natural History, 4th edition- Wilfred E.
Binkley, Knopf
-The Making of the American Party System(1789-1809)-Noble E.Cunningham,
Prentice-Hall
-Diary of Democracy: the Story of Political Parties in America-Harry E.
Neal, J.Messner
- Political Parties in American History-Paul Murphy, Putnam

You might want to buy Gale's Political Theories for Students... my kids use it a
lot.  Here's what their site says about it:

Political Theories for Students
 *   Published by Thomson Gale

Designed specifically for high school students, Political Theories for Students
provides in-depth information on major political theories and systems from all time
periods. Each entry begins with a general overview of the system/theory followed by
a discussion of the principal aspects of the theory, the theory's philosophy and an
analysis of the historical context in which the theory was developed, including
critical response. The volume also includes profiles of the major economists,
philosophers, authors and others involved in the development or refinement of the
theory. Entries also cover the "Theory in Action," analyzing how the political
theory works in practice. Additional features include a glossary, chronology,
further reading list, comparison table, more than 80 black-and-white photographs
and a general index.

*   Published/Released: April 2002
*   ISBN: 0-7876-5645-3
*   Product number: 175060
*   Page count: About 450 pp.
*   Shipping Weight: 4.00 lbs (1.81 kgs)
Price: US $120.00

The Encyclopedia of Political Parties in America published by
Sharpe Reference.

Start here?
http://www.lii.org/pub/topic/politics_parties

324.273
KRO
Kronenwetter, Michael.
Political parties of the United States / Michael Kronenwetter.
Springfield, N.J., U.S.A. : Enslow Publishers, c1996.

324
BIN
Binning, William C.
Encyclopedia of American parties, campaigns, and elections / William C.
Binning, Larry E. Esterly, and Paul A. Sracic.
Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1999.

324.273
MOR
Morin, Isobel V.,
Politics, American style : political parties in American history /
Isobel V. Morin.
Brookfield, Conn. : Millbrook Press, 1999.

324.2
WOR
World encyclopedia of political systems and parties / edited by George
E. Delury.
New York : Facts On File, c1999.

324.273
ENC
The encyclopedia of third parties in America / edited by Immanuel Ness
and James Ciment ; foreword by Frances Fox Piven.
Armonk, N.Y. : Sharpe Reference, c2000.

324.2736
FIS
Fish, Bruce.
The history of the Democratic Party / by Bruce & Becky Durost Fish.
Philadelphia : Chelsea House Publishers, c2000.

324.2734
LUT
Lutz, Norma Jean.
The history of the Republican Party / Norma Jean Lutz ; Arthur M.
Schlesinger, Jr., senior consulting editor.
Philadelphia : Chelsea House Publishers, c2000.

have you checked the ABC-CLIO catalog?
I seem to remember looking at something in their booth at AASL that
might be what you're looking for!

those books was "Political Theories for Students" which contained the materials we
couldn't find; however, we are still finding other titles that we "like alot!"
(We're making lists of things now....along with the titles that you all offered, so
we're building up the reference area!)

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions...and I highly encourage librarians to
contact Thomson Gale for a preview / trial of some of these e-books!  We are SOLD
on the availability of the titles for several students at once and the
accessibility for many students --- and I was VERY appreciative of the timely
service that Thomson Gale offered, too!!

Thanks again!

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian