Fellow LM-Netters –

There is some irony in posting an extraordinarily long, 2-part hit whose
thesis is “Most LM_Netters are hopelessly overwhelmed with reading
material,” but I’m doing it anyway.  :o)  My question seems to have struck
a chord with many people, and within hours of asking it I was flooded with
answers indicating that I am most definitely NOT the only librarian on
earth who can’t keep up on reading!  It appears to be an occupational
hazard.  I first summarized the suggestions and tips, but I decided to
include the individual responses as well just in case anyone needs
concrete proof to puncture the popular myth that librarians sit around
reading all day.  Many thanks to all who responded – I tried to thank
everyone individually but realize I may have missed someone.  Once again,
this list has been a wonderful resource!

Sara Reinders, LMS
Ada Christian School
Ada, MI
sreinders@adachristian.org

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Top two ideas:

* Listen to books on tape.
* Rely on student opinions, especially for genres you don’t enjoy reading
yourself.

Additional suggestions:
* Don’t waste time reading books the kids probably won’t like – or books
you don’t like yourself.
* Focus on the books the kids might not read without guidance – they will
find and tell each other about Harry Potter, Lemony Snicket, etc.
* Mix it up – vary genres and alternate new releases with classics so you
don’t get bored with one thing.
* Read just one book from each series to get a taste of it – don’t try to
read the whole series.
* Keep lists and notes about the books you’ve read.
* Join a book award reading committee – at least two people said they read
the most while on these committees.
* Concentrate on books from Best Book lists, “What’s New” workshops,
annual awards, independent children’s bookstore recommendations,
well-known authors, etc.
* Rely on blurbs, reviews, online booktalks – it’s OK to tell a student
about a book even if you haven’t read it yourself – just admit it and talk
about the book anyway.  :o)
* Use your own pleasure reading as a reward for finishing a work-related
book.
* Read for yourself during the school year and for school in the summer
(or the other way around.)

And finally …
*Have realistic expectations and set realistic concrete goals.  It’s
impossible to be all caught up on reading!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One way that I get through a lot of YA books is listen to audio books on
tape or cd in my car. Most of them are short and I can get through it in a
week. Then if I don't have an adult book going at home I read a YA book
there too. Right now I have Kira Kira, the new Lemony Snicket and the new
Pat. Cornwell going!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Audio books.  Pick them up at your public library.  This is how I have
"read" most of the Newbery titles.  Whenever we travel the family spends
the trip listening to books.  It is also great just to have one going in
the car for driving to work and running errands.  This will help you read
some of your older titles.

Otherwise I am in the same boat of wondering how to keep on top of
everything.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I do try to keep up. This year it isn't happening, because I am still
moving the library to a new location (or rather, still unpacking).
Normally, I keep up by visiting our extraordinary local independent
children's bookstore quite regularly (name edited out). Twice a year, the
co-owner (name edited out) has a preview, culled from all of the many
things they get to look at. I always attend, and always quiz the staff on
what is new. Unlike the local chain, my independent (every staff person
there) knows what is new, and helps me find it. This is particularly
important for my K-5 population, many of whom have already read a lot of
what is in our library of 19,000 volumes. I am still finding out about
oldies that I missed, of course.

Whenever I visit the local public library (one of the best in the nation),
I make it a point to tour the new books section and scarf titles from it.
When the kids have something new that they've just read, and are excited
about, I ask them to loan me their copy, to cut out the "I have to go get
a copy to read it" delay. There is nothing like having read the book.

I also have both of the local library (town and county) web catalogs
bookmarked, and look for titles there when I don't have them but want to
read them. I came across one today (3rd of the Bartimeus Trilogy, by
Jonathan Stroud) that none of the local libraries (named edited out) own,
but that I've already known about for two months. Apparently, we'll have
to get that one to read it (and I will ask the families who I know are
already looking for it, till I get time to buy & read it). For some things
(like the Stroud series) I don't get around to the succeeding volumes...
but my readers do.

One of the reasons the preview works so well for me is that I like to
see and handle the books.
Hearing about them for 60-90 seconds from someone really
knowledgeable, then having the chance to look at the myself if in
doubt, makes all the difference. It's easier (and more accurate for
me) than reading reviews.

Most people are biased toward the visual. That's why I can recommend
more books while walking through the book store or the library than
standing in the hallway with no books in sight. I like to see my
quarry. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That is the question! I spend about 50 hours a week just keeping up on
the paperwork and lesson plans and try to have 30 minutes a  night for
personal reading. I have only one favorite TV show (except for the
weather, of course!) I am still trying to figure out how to do it after
29 years. Looking back, having three schools had less paperwork,
although many frustrations.
I am in a PreK to  5 school with about 300 students. I teach 15 library
classes during a 35 period week (Four are a class and a half to keep
our schedule working). I also teach 8 periods of reading intervention
(3 of them are VERY LONG periods), 3 periods of G/T, take care of all
of the technology and other building equipment, do some AR on the side,
manage the webpage...no aide.... I am also required (first time!) to go
to teacher planning meetings, which I do 4x  a week and always try to
meet with the BOE technician when he comes to our school 1x a week. I
have cafeteria duty 3x a week, do the AM Announcements and PM bus
calling every day.
I am taking my final grad class for a master's plus 60 (independent
study) so that is where my "spare" time goes. So I also feel guilty for
not reading the fiction books. Our public librarians seem to do a
better job of that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You are so not alone!  I've wondered the same thing.  I read as much
as I can, especially books that garner a lot of interest or advance
publicity,
but let's face it, there will always be a mountain of books waiting.  I
depend
on the students to tell me about some books and am not shy about asking
them.  It gives me information. and they enjoy the collaborative aspect.

I love it when a student asks me if I've read every book in the library!
I always
say "almost".  Yeah, right!  But I do get a lot of bits and pieces of info
from
students, from reviews, from catalog/Booklist descriptions, enough to give
the essence
of a book.  I'm sure you do the same...and I say that's ok.  In any event,
have you
noticed that whether you have read a book or not, when a student asks what
it's
about, it takes about the same time to tell them about it?
They only want and need a sound bite (the famous 20-second book talk).
A few might enjoy a longer discussion and that's
fun, but the main thing to me is to be able to say just enough to get THEM to
read it, even if I haven't!

Car dealers haven't driven every car on the lot...clothing store managers
haven't
tried on every outfit in the store...furniture store owners haven't slept,
sat or eaten
in, on or at every piece of furniture.  They develop a feel for it based
on customer
reviews and what they glean from their vendors and their own research.
I think it's fair that we do the same.   And we do have that 100%
satisfaction
guarantee: Don't like it? Bring it right back and try another!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi..  I had to smile reading your email.  I think we all feel that way!
And it only gets worse the longer you do it... because you know that many
more authors and titles and truly realize how much you don't know!  If we
tried to read our collection - we wouldn't have a life!  I just do the
best I can... I read what interests me... I read what's exciting for my
students...I try to read as many of the award/recommended books as I
can...although it never seems like enough!  Most of my reading takes place
during vacations and summers!  Having been at it for about a decade now, I
feel comfortable with my knoweledge base, but I don't think there will
ever be a time that I don't feel "behind."  I say, just do the best you
can and know that we're all in the same boat!  Don't be embarrassed to say
to a student (or a parent during the book fair) "I haven't read that yet."
  I always tell them that there's a mountain of books by my bed!   My
biggest problem now... is that I can't remember the plot of books that I
read years ago.  Who's got time to reread when there are so many new
titles!!  I used to keep index cards on everything I read.... time
consuming, but I wish I continued it.  The trick is finding the balance
between teacher, curriculum developer, technology expert, and librarian!
So few people understand the challenging job that we have.  Best of luck
to you!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You're not the only one.  I was promoted to librarian from a helper when
my boss retired last summer.  Now I have it all to do alone.  I'm so far
behind in my reading!

However, I've vowed to make some time.  It's only a dent, but I do get
some things read each week....  Also, I do a lot of skimming.  Only read a
few sentences and move on from the paragraph.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't think it's possible to read everything.  I would love to, but as you
say, there simply isn't enough time.  Something I like to do is get books on
tape from my public library.  I've 'read' many books that way, sometimes on
longer trips, sometimes just while running errands around town.  My husband
also recently bought a portable CD player for me, with the idea that I could
listen to books on CD while I'm walking.  Unfortunately, I haven't had much
time for walking lately...

I don't think you're alone in wishing for more time to read.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You are NOT the only one!!  It's overwhelming.  But, one little help to me
has been listening to books-on-tape from the public library.  Our library
has a good selection of recorded children's novels and I can listen to
them in the car or while I cook and wash dishes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Unfortunately, I don't have the answer, but I can commiserate.  I'm just
in my second year of this profession, and I feel overwhelmed by my
collection.  The books I know and can promote best are ones I read during
my undergrad classes.  Well, there's been plenty of new books since then
(and that wasn't very long ago), but I can't catch up!  And forget the
reading professional journals...  I don't even have the excuse of having
children or working on my master's!   I feel like a bad librarian!
Especially when so many other people on this list seem to be able to "do
it all."  So anyway, if anyone gives you the solution to it all, feel free
to pass it along!  :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I feel your pain!  Add on top of that getting my master's, so I really
have no time to read!  I actually have a 15 min drive to and from work, so
I listen to books on tape.  I do also take time to read to my kids in the
evening, but other than that, I really don't get to read the for fun
stuff.

Please post a hit if you get any other interesting things.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Wow, my sentiments exactly.  I am a first year LMS and these students are
always asking for recommendations, not to mention the teachers who want
books demonstrating this or that, and I just have no idea!  I find myself
really relying on booktalk sites and stuff but I know exactly how you
feel.  Please post a hit of responses if you get any,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I think you will be inundated with replies that verify your situation.  I
have been in this profession for 35+ years and have never had the time to
even catch up, much less keep up.  That is the challenge of coming back
each day to see what is new "out there" as it is so fascinating.  Young
adult reading has changed so much in the last 35 years, but look at
society. Keeping up with professional journals is critical, but, like you
we all think "who has time?" and then have some kind of personal life.  At
that point I think we all have to step back and look at the job from a
realistic perspective.  In my opinion,being a librarian is the best job in
town, with good days, and bad days, just like everyone else.  But, take it
as it comes and try to enjoy. Listen to your students and your colleagues
and know that you are in a very large boat!