Hi!

I just finished going through the LM Net archives, and the most recent
posting on Elementary age appropriate magazines is from 2002. It seems
to me that some magazines have changed to being more violent and/or
filled with a majority of advertising. Like GamePro has a machine gun
wielding, breasty creature on the cover...

What magazines do you subscribe to for your k-6th grade students? Is
there something out there for health/sports/fitness other than Sports
Illustrated for Kids? Do you let younger k-2 students check them out?
I only have grade 3+ checking them out..

I have inherited my current subscription list in my first year at this
library, and I'm not thrilled. We subscribe to three Beckett magazines
that are primarily filled with lists. Yesterday I found there was a
full page ad of a woman in a slinky nightie. Blah...

I admit that I use magazines to promote reading for fun. I don't
really use them for the purpose of research. Mostly because my
philosophy is to get kids to love reading and reading and reading
before they get to MS, HS and college and are no longer allowed as
much choice. Many kids stop loving reading at that time unless it's
deeply rooted...

I went on Amazon.com to read reviews and found that Girls Life is more
appropriate for boy-kissing teen-agers and not elementary kids.

Here's my current list of likes, what do you think?

American Girl
Appleseeds
Boys Life
Cat Fancy
Cricket
Dig
Discovery Girls
Disney Adventure
Dog Fancy
Highlights
Kids Discover
National Geographic for kids (Is Nat'l Geographic World different?)
Nickelodeon
Odyssey
Ranger Rick
Sports Illustrated for Kids
Time for Kids (Weekly classroom mag? 1 copy for Library?)
Zoobooks

JoAnn Johnson, MLIS
IMC Director
Irving Elementary School
West Allis, WI
johnsonj@wawm.k12.wi.us

--
*´¨)

"You did what you knew how to do. When you knew better, you did
better." ~Maya Angelou

"Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda