A few weeks ago I requested advice for a 5th grade Mother Daughter Book Club
and got many great ideas.  Thank you all SO much.  Here is a summary of the

Andrea Koch, SLMS
French Road Elementary School
Rochester, New York
kochandrea@msn.com

How about RUNNING OUT OF TIME or AMONG THE HIDDEN by Haddix.  Also look at
CORNER OF THE UNIVERSE by Martin and books by Polly Horvath and Helen McKay
. Also look at  the Patricia Wrede dragon series.  Also look at Curtiss'
books. THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM and BUD NOT B UDDY,

I used Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism by Georgia Byng in my 5th
grade group.  All the kids loved it.

THE WEDDING PLANNER'S DAUGHTER by Colleen Paratore is perfect- it is quite a
good read in spite of the VERY PINK cover! A daughter is on a quest to be a
"matchmaker" for her mother. Each chapter starts with a literary quote that
gives a hint as to what the chapter is about!

We have a list of books with mothers on our website.  See
http://ccb.lis.uiuc.edu/mothers.html

A Year Down Yonder Peck
Silver Norma Fox Mayer
Esperanza Rising Pam Munoz Ryan
Izzy-Willy Nilly (some might think this is too old of a subject)  The theme
is really friendship, but Izzy gets into a car with a boy that has been
drinking too much and the experience teaches her a deep lesson.

Ida B. by Katherine Hannigan
    The one thing you can count on is change... learning how to deal with it
is the tricky part.

The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg
    What do you do with a 12 year old, at camp, who would "rather not" do
any of the activities?
    Her reasons prove to be interesting, and quite wonderful, and there is
depth everywhere.
    The View from Saturday is a little younger, in some ways, and similarly
wise.

No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman
     You know the genre: dog on the cover, award sticker... you know the
dog's end is near, right?
     What happens when a teacher who likes a book of that genre meets a
young man who doesn't, and they're both stubborn.
     Another one that both my son and daughter like, and re-read regularly.

Children of the Lamp by P. B. Kerr
     What do you do with 12 year old twins who have just discovered they are
djinn, and need some instruction?  My 11th grader is an avid reader, but has
been too busy of late for anything. This is one she found time for, and
loved.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
    So much better than the movie... this is one my daughter needed to own a
copy of, as it is often re-read.
    Was so good that my son liked it also.

The Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck
    Ok, almost anything by Richard Peck. I avoided this book for a long time
because of the title.
    But his other books are so good I was finally tempted... and like his
others it is funny in an inimitable way.

Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles
    This book is relatively little-known, since it's the author's first
novel.
    It is, however, absolutely splendid. It's up for CA Young Reader's Medal
this year.
    A must read, especially about coping with other people you love (and
don't), and grief, and doing the right thing.

The Girls by Amy Koss
Flipped by Van Draanen, Wendelin
Bloomability by Sharon Creech
Fever by Anderson, L.
Bridge to Terabithia by Paterson, Katherine
Pinballs by Betsy Byars