Good Sunday to you Netters,
Here is a list of the in-put I received from all you nice folks out there on
the author/illustrators who put 'hidden things' in their books.
This is certainly a good start to an interesting lesson for our students.

Pam

Hidden Things in Picture Books:

Marc Brown's Arthur books name his children Tolen, Tucker and Eliza.

Peter Spier always puts a cat in his pictures.

Jan Brett hides a hedgehog in all of her books

Mark Buehner illustrator & author

Elaine Livermore's "Find the Cat" and others.

I Spy Books

Where's Waldo

Chris Van Allsburg. White terrier dog somewhere in his books

Donald Crews, hides the year the book was created in his books.

Tony and Susan Baracca, "Taxi Dog" (black cat on pages) Fanny's Dream (cat)

Margaret Wise Brown, "Good Night Moon". There is a mouse in all the color
illustrations,
the mouse moves about the room and the clock changes time.

Keith Baker in Hide and Snake has cleverly taken something from
pages 1 and 2 and tucked them in on pages 3 and 4;
something from 3 and 4 and put it on 5 and 6 and so on.

Mercer Mayer - Little Critter books; some have a mouse on every page.
Others have a grasshopper and a spider

Here's the original site I was searching for though it was more detailed in 2000:
http://nancykeane.com/rl/171.htm

Link to site with 'searching type books'
http://monroe.lib.in.us/childrens/booklists/waldobib.html

Pamela Berberich, Library Media Technician
Anza Elementary School
El Cajon, CA
BERBERICHP@cajonvalley.net
pberberich@cox.net