It seems like the only time I take a moment to look through a book somebody had a
question on, the Principal walks through.

So, I take things home.  Since I read about 100 pages an hour I can easily finish
most books in a sitting.  My other perk is I get home by 3:00 my husband doesn't
roll into until 6:00.  I can finish a lot of books.  I also take home between 40
and 75 books every summer, depending on my schedule that summer.  My twenty
something daughter helps me.  I read then she reads, so we get two views about each
title.  My Para pro also takes a bunch home, so we get quite a few books read
between us.

Second best is this list.  the book reviews from our peers are really good.  And we
have the ability to ask each other about specific titles.  (I'm still waiting for
somebody else to read "Open Ice" so we can discuss it.)

My only other concern is the tendencies for people to put books in their library
that should stay up a level.  I have a lot of trouble finding books that aren't
being carried by the intermediate library for my kids, but aren't so mature the
books should be at the high school or the public library.  Yes, we want to provide
great stories for our kids, but think about the next level too.  When my students
ask why I don't have any Dean Koontz, I tell them what I do have, and then ask them
if I had everything that would they read at the High School?  They get it!  Give
them a chance to branch out, read other stuff while waiting to move to the next
level and see other things.  It is amazing the kids that come in ONLY reading one
genre, but then taking the chance to branch out, then they've read everything by
the end of the year.   Can be any genre, just last week I had a student taking book
two of a series, I knew he didn't have book 1.  Asked him about it, his response
was he read them last year and really liked it so was re-reading.  I said that's
great, but let me introduce you to something else.  He came back through later that
day and said it was good so far.  YEAH!!!

If they really really want something they can get it from the public library, or
inter-library loan it in our district.  I'm not advocating a clear divide or
leveling books, I'm saying if you have a question, let it stay at the upper level,
something for your readers to look forward too.

Jean

R. Jean Gustafson
Teacher/Librarian
Selah Jr. High