Well, these comments were saved in my deleted folder!

HIT#2

I think they are both more of a middle school book. I would not have either of them
in my K - 5 library due to the mature subject matter (battles, gore, etc). I loved
them, but do not feel they belong in an elem. library.
*********
A quick way to check for reviews is through Titlewave:
http://www.titlewave.com/login/  Tis free and a wonderful, useful site.
Here is one of the reviews:

School Library Journal (October 1, 2005)
Gr 5 Up-Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have survived the battle at Tronjheim, but
their challenges are not over. Galbatorix, the corrupt
emperor, still rules Alagaesia and is looking for them. The magically bonded pair
must help the rebellious Varden regroup after their leader is slain. Eragon helps
deal with the resulting diplomatic complexities and then leaves for Du
Weldenvarden, the home of the Elves, in order to
finish his training as a Dragon Rider. Meanwhile, his cousin Roran must unite the
small town of Carvahall as it is battered by Galbatorix's
forces, including the nasty Ra'zac. The story alternates between Eragon and Saphira
and their political maneuvering and Roran and his more
traditional adventure over land and sea. Paolini provides a worthy companion to
Eragon (Knopf, 2003), though it does not stand alone (a
summary of the first book will be included in the final edition). The plot-indeed,
most of the fantasy conventions-is heavily inspired by Tolkien, McCaffrey, and
especially George Lucas. The momentum of the narrative is steady and consistent: a
problem presents itself and is
neatly (and conveniently) solved before the next one arises, making it appealing to
some adventure-quest fantasy fans and runescape.com
players. Eragon's journey to maturity is well handled. He wrestles earnestly with
definitions for good and evil, and he thoughtfully
examines the question of good at what price.While there's nothing particularly
original here, the book will find its fan-base.-Sarah
Couri, New York Public Library Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
*****************************
Outside of the fact that the student has to be able to lift a hefty volume, I see
no reason why someone who has enjoyed Eragon should not read Eldest. I find the
reading levels very similar.
**************************
You know, all these great books get such hype that everybody feels they need to
have them.
What is left for us to purchase at the higher levels if the lower levels have it?

Leave something for us.  So many of the books are too young or too MUCH for the Jr.
high or even intermediate levels.  When something wonderful comes along it's too
bad EVERYBODY feels they need to have it.

That said, I've read both and don't feel they are very bad.  Eldest has some very
painful betrayals in it, that a younger child with either be
very hurt by, or not even get it.  So why bother?
*******************
Like the Harry Potter books, Eragon is growing older.  He is becoming more sexually
aware and acknowledging it.  He also is drinking, not
often, but does drink to excess.  Both are things that happen when a boy becomes a
young man, as Eragon is.  Nothing is very graphic,
sexually it is exploring feelings and drinking is a part of the culture.  It is
probably more middle school than Eragon.  If your student was able to read and
understand Eragon in 3rd or 4th grade, I would say that he could put the Eldest in
context.  Discuss the issues with the parent and recommend that she read the book
as well and discuss the issues with her child. I had the same concerns in my K-5
library.  I had kids who where devouring books like Eragon and their parents
encouraged it.  I believe I did order the Eldest, so many of my students read at a
middle school level.  If my child had read Eragon I would allow them to read the
Eldest as well.  Both books leave you hanging waiting impatiently for the next.  It
would cruel not to let the poor child read it, besides he is almost middle school
anyway.
*************************
They are both wonderful, both totally appropriate for any age, and I have turned
more non-reading boys into readers by giving a quick
book-talk on these books, that I have a very long reserve list on both. I have 5
copies of Eragon and 3 copies of Eldest - I can't keep them on
the shelf.  My campus is a middle school, but I don't see any problem with Eldest
at the elem.

In a nutshell, Eldest has more character development and few additional subplots,
but if your little guy liked Eragon he'll LOVE Eldest.  I
can't say enough good about both books.
***********************
I haven't read either of them but I have several 4th grade students reading their
own copies of Eldest...would appreciate hearing about others opinions, too.
***********************
I thought they were about the same.
**********************
We have it in our elementary library.  Other than the regular fantasy violence
there are no problems.  It is very popular.  My associate librarian reports that
his 4th grade son exhibited no changes in behavior after reading it, although he
did no school work for two days while reading it, and then started both books again.
*************************
I'd suggest to the parent that she read it and decide.
*************************
Eldest is quite long, but I think it is a better book than Eragon.  Of course, he
must be a good reader to even contemplate it.  But it is more
of a middle school book in that Eragon deals with conflicted adolescent feelings
from falling in love.  A lot of it will go over his head.  I say that if it wants
to read it, he should read it.

Thank you all again!
Sincerely,

Patricia H. Gray