Thanks for the many responses!  Here's the hit...

The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
Mountains Beyond Mountains, Tracy Kidder
Our favorites the last two years have been: The Secret Life of Bees,
The
DaVinci Code, The Birth of Venus, The Red Tent and our most
favorite--The Kite Runner.
My sister's keeper Jodi Picoult
Chocolat
The Painted House -- Grisham
The Pilot's Wife -- Shreve
These are three of the ones we read in the past years.  This generated
good
discussion.  Chocolat has a movie starring Johnny Depp--I think that
was the
draw for that book.  We saw the movie, ate at a restaurant that served
wonderful chocolate desserts and had a great time.
The Bookseller of Kabul
Secret Life of Bees--Kidd
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa  Gregory
Kite Runner by by Khaled Hosseini
 1000  White Women by Jim Fergus
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
A new member of staff was lamenting that her usual book group was
meeting one morning and the book they were discussing was "The lovely
bones" by Alice Sebold. As many of us had read it we appointed
ourselves
her surrogate book group and discussed it next morning tea time (along
with angel food cake of course). It led to very lively discussion
about
the characters, concept of heaven and of course the content of rape
and
murder.

We are looking at doing this once a month but are struggling with a
possible next book. Some suggestions include "Q and A' by Vikas Sawup
an
enjoyable read but I'm not sure it will lead to great discussion

I liked The Kite Runner and Lovely Bones

Broken for You is a wonderful book. I think it's by Stephanie Kallos

Two books - not new titles - that have had an impact on me have been
TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE by Albom and THE TRAVELER'S GIFT by Andrews.  If
your group has not experienced either of these, I encourage you to
consider them as possibilities.  Both provoked thought and the
discussions would be most interesting.

Here are the books that my group is doing for this year.
-Bel Canto by Anne Patchett-
-Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn by Kris Radish-
-My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult-
-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon-
-Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama-
-Open House by Elizabeth Berg-
-The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd-
-16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber-