Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  You are all a little piece of heaven for us
newbies!  I really appreciate all your help and advice.  Below are the responses I
got for an introductory letter to teachers at the high school level.  I have not
yet put my letter to the teachers together, but I have done some class orientations
this week (several every day in fact), and I used ideas from your emails to great
advantage.  I made a one page brochure (front only) about the library -- hours,
procedures, behavior, etc.  This I handed out to each student in the orientation.
On the back I printed a basic OPAC lesson that I went over with them using an
Infocus projector connected to a laptop that had our OPAC on it.  This worked well
for me.  Next week I am going to work on my teacher letter.  One thing that I have
started doing is sending confirmation emails to teachers who call to schedule
library time.  This is a great help.  You have it in writing, and so do they.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Vicki Nelson
Odessa High School Library
Odessa, Texas
vickinelson@grandecom.net

It was along the lines of Services provided through the Media Center, How I
can help you (collaborative lessons, scheduling labs, checking our AV,
etc.), and How you can help me (give me a copy of your lesson plan ahead of
time, only send 4 students at a time, etc.)

Since I put out a daily library schedule about four years ago I have not had
a problem with unexpected classes.
since I will be there all day this year I will send it out after the school
day is over.  This will precipate reservations and I will send out another
one in the morning.  Ususually my schedule shows about the next 6 days in
the library, some teachers plan ahead and that forces others to plan ahead
as I can only hold one class at a time.

The thing they are going to have a problem might be remembering when your
conference period occurs and if they can come to the library then.

email by periods of the day.

Period 1 Fishler
Period 2 Hedden
Period 3 Burke
used times during lunch periods.

Last year every period was divided into two parts because we had block
scheduling.

This year it will be mostly one teacher one period.
Bob King

I did a teacher brochure, but you could take it and make it into a
letter.  It is in Microsoft Publisher, so I hope you can open it.

Joanne Seale, LMS
Space Coast Jr/Sr HS
Cocoa, FL
books4me@earthlink.net

Thomas Kaun recently posted this letter to teachers that I think is
wonderful.  I plan to rework it a bit for my campus.